• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rehab'ing the woodwork in my '83 E28+

Rob H

Another question for the group vis a vis my new E28+...

I found a great, extremely reasonable handyman/painter recently who happens to be a boat owner and was thinking about asking him to fix up the interior wood work on my E28+. (I would do it myself but I feel like he would do a much better job and I don't really have a lot of free time.)

Any tips of how he could approach the job? The floor in the interior is in bad condition... a lot of peeling or flaking. It is particularly damaged towards the forward berth where there was some saturation from a flooding problem (see previous post on clogged anchor locker). The metal rings that are used to pull the panels that access the bilge are also either broken or jammed. The teak woodwork throughout the interior is in okay shape but has not been treated in a long time I would imagine.

The extent of the teak woodwork on the interior is a real plus for the Ericson, it would be great if he could bring it back to life.

Any tips on how to proceed?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Rob, I replaced/refinished the entire interior of my '85 35-3.

There is more detailed info here: http://treilley.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album22

Feel free to ask any questions.

PICT0012.jpg

z_dsc_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Rob H

Thanks Tim R.

You clearly did a tremendous job and the outcome is perfect.

I am probably less ambitious than that and don't foresee myself removing or replacing any of the wood (which is probably not in quite as bad condition as the wood on your boat when you first started). If all the work were to be done onboard, what steps would you recommend? Basically, cleaning, sanding and varnishing?

By the way, did you do anything to the floor or was it already in decent condition?

Thanks again, Rob

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Rob, what is the current finish on your wood?

Mine was oiled and not in bad shape. We decided on a more permanent finish because we did not want to re-oil monthly and we wanted to lighten the wood a bit. Most of the replacement was a result of replacing the portlights and finding rot around the openings. You also find that the veneer is loose when you remove the portlights as they are acting as clamps holding it together. So like many boat projects it grew the further I dug.

The cabin sole was completely shot. The PO had a diesel leak that soaked into the sole. The sole in the head was so rotted that it literally came out in fist size pieces. Again, it did not appear that bad until I tried to remove it.

As for being perfect I see every flaw every time I enter the boat:rolleyes:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The best way I have found to clean oiled wood is to use Captain John's teak cleaner. That is what my wife is using in the photos inside the cabin. If you want to further clean and lighten the wood then use a water/tide/bleach mixture with a fresh rinse. I think it was a gallon of hot water, cup of tide and cup of bleach.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's a Sole you seek............

were did u get the floor from?:egrin:

I would bet that there are some high-end lumber suppliers around the MDR area that stock teak n holly surfaced plywood. I have seen it for sale at such a place even here in PDX.
Replacing a cabin sole can be quite a satisfying project, but do not underestimate the work involved. One the largest threads in the history of this site documents the total sole replacement of a somewhat larger Ericson, with added pics and comments from other owners that had done this project.

Pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee, sit down, and read thru this thread for inspiration.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1526&highlight=sole

And, here's another thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4004

Best,
LB

Last edited: