• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Speaking of Wheel Pilots

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
I'm trying to figure out how to install a MK II Wheel drive (S1 Wheel pilot) with a rudder position sensor on my 1988 E 32-200. The problem is the RPS. Has anyone else figured out how to install the RPS over the quadrant? It looks like I am going to have to build a right angle on the aft side of the aft lazarette wall and just over the quadrant. This means I will have to tap into the quadrant to erect a post or pin to affix to the RPS somehow. Has anyone else figured this out? I have seen postings for bigger Raymarine pilots but not the smaller one for the smaller e32.

Larry Lee
Savannah, GA
Annablel Lee
E-32-200

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Larry, I think your 32-200 is similar to our 35-3 except you may have an Edson pedistal and steering quadrant. Mine is a Merriman and I mounted the RPS on the bottom of the sole next to the rudder post and built a bracket out of starboard for the quadrant.

The first photo below show the RPS(without the linkage attached) upside down mounted on the stbd side of the rudder post. This photo was taken from the stern locker looking forward. You have to reverse the R and G wires for this setup. The other photo shows the bracket made from starboard on the quadrant. The bracket faces up.

pict0014.jpg

dsc_0003.jpg

Last edited:

newpbs

Member III
Installation on my 32-200

Larry,

I installed an AP on my 32-200 this past spring. It took me a while to figure out how to do it, but once I understood what I was up against it wasn't too bad.

How anxious are you to get your installation done? Pictures from my install would help you the most but I don't have any. I might have a chance to take some this week. My boat is about 40 minutes away from where I live. Can you wait a few days.

In the mean time, I can tell you that I installed a small piece a "star board" under the steering quadrant. I mounted the small knuckle joint on this plastic. A small shelf or bracket was constructed and mounted on the bulkhead wall for the rudder feedback unit.

Let me know if you can wait for pictures.

Good Luck

Paul

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
32-200 wheel pilot

Thanks to you both for your responses. Tim, I never thought to hang the RPS as you did. Paul, I am in no real rush as we are not going cruising until late August. I would love to see your pictures but on your schedule. I just appreciate your doing it at all.

Thanks

Larry Lee

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Larry, I think I layed under there for an hour before figuring it out. Not to mention the many hours at the local watering hole thinking about it.

Howard Keiper

I admit to being to being thick...I have difficulty seeing how this whole 'quadrant steering' thing works at all if one doesn't remove the wheel when the pilot is engaged. It seems to me that the mechanics aren't much different than when steering a normally wheel steered boat with a tiller say, as in an emergency. Wheels are designed to be easily removed when 'tillering'...(that's why the big nut doesn't get really tight). It's a bear to have to swing the wheel when you tiller-steer, so you remove it. What's different if the auto pilot steers from the quadrant??
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Howard, this is just a sensor not a drive. The drive unit is on the wheel and uses a geared motor to turn the wheel the same way you do.

There are below decks drive units but they are very expensive and usually use much larger motors and hydrauics.

newpbs

Member III
AP photos on 32-200

Lawrence,

See if these photos help. I used star board to fabricate the pieces in the pictures. The material was connected to the quadrant using thread rod couplings. The couplings allow the star board to be spaced off the curved surface of the quadrant. Nylon locking nuts were used as well as locktight whenever possible.

The positioning sensor itself is mounted on the bulkhead of the stern berth. The bracket is through bolted because the bulkhead itself is thin plywood.

On a related topic...where are you going to mount your compass? I mounted mine on the bulkhead of the head. It is in the starboard lazarete (sp?). I'm not happy with this space as it is very close to my water heater. There don't seem to be many good choices though.

Let me know if this helps. I hope that the pictures work. I've never attached photos before.

Good Luck,

Paul

Attachments

• Quadrant.jpg
    Quadrant.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 47
  • FullView.jpg
    FullView.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Sensor.jpg
    Sensor.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 50

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Nice Job

Paul,
Thank you so much for the pictures. You really did a nice professional looking job. I sort of figured the sensor would have to mounted somewhat like you did but I was not thinking straight on the quadrant. I assume you drilled holes in the quadrant. I can't remember if mine is any different from yours. Shouldn't be, eh?

As for the compass. The aft head lazarette (sp?) wall near the hot water heater is precisely where my new Promariner 1220i 20 amp battery charger is located. I am not as nimble as I used to be so it was quite an accoplishment that I got the old one out (20 lbs) and the new puppy in over the holding tank. I don't want to move it. I may look in the locker aft of the galley in the "grand salon."

Again, thanks for your help and everyones responses.

Ready about?

Larry Lee:egrin:

newpbs

Member III
Yes, holes were drilled

Larry,

I did drill two holes in the quadrant. They were to accept the 1/4 inch bolts. I don't think that the structure of the quadrant was compromised by doing this.

I think that I will relocate the compass to the bulkhead above the locker in the "owners suite".

Let me know how your installation turns out. I really enjoy having the AP.

Paul