• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

lbertran

Member III
I'm getting ready to install a Raymarine X-5 Wheel Pilot on my 35-3. It would be helpful to know from others who have done this where they placed the fluxgate compass and the course computer. For my boat, I think the best location for the course computer is in the starboard cockpit locker, near the engine control panel. But I worry that location may have some vibration. As for the fluxgate compass, I could really use your advice. Thanks in advance.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Laura,

I have a ST6000 with many of the same components. I located the computer in the quarter berth aft of the elecrtical panel and the Dorade vent. I would be concerned about locating it in a cockpit locker because of the heat and the possibility of water damage.

The flux gate compass is mounted forward of the battery compartment on the forward facing side of the dining table seat. It is as close I could come to meeting the requirements of being on the centerline and near midship. If I can make it to the boat I'll try to get some pictures if you think they would help.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hi Laura. I mounted my FG compass on the stringer that is in line with the table base in the bilge. Facing forward, amidships. You can just see it in this photo:

pict0010.jpg

As for the computer I mounted mine fore/aft in the stb sail locker just above and to port of the trash can. The X5 has a heading sensor and wants to be mounted athwart ships. In this case the aft facing bulkhead in the sail locker may be good. You would want to shield it from any AF overflow though. Another good location would be on the aft facing bulkhead above the port side shelf in the quarterberth.

And let me know when you are ready to install the RPS. I can save you lots of time on that.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Thanks and More Questions

Thanks, Ray, Tim, Loren-
Ray, don't worry about pictures I can picture your set-up. But just to make sure, your fluxgate is on the outside of the dinette seat? Doesn't it get hit by people sliding into that seat?
Tim, I can see where you put the fg in that photo. Does it ever get wet or moist? My bilge water level doesn't get up very high but...
Also, what do you mean by "AF overflow"? I assume you haven't had any heat or vibration issues with the course computer in the sail locker?
Again, thanks so much for all of your help.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sorry Laura, I meant antifreeze from the overflow tank.

I have a wet bilge and the FG has never had a problem to my knowledge. It is the new one that came with the S1 but there was an identical one there for the older ST4000. I believe it is sealed. I think it is common to get mounted in the bilges. Keeping the FG centerline of the boat fore/aft and side/side is ideal.

My course computer has no mechanical parts so no worries about vibration. I run my blower when the motor is running to keep the compartment cool. The X5 has a heading sensor that may be affected by vibration or proximity to electronics, engine, etc. I would call Raymarine on that one.

lbertran

Member III
Course Computer

Thanks, Tim. I think I'm going to look at putting the course computer in the same spot that Ray did.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Laura,

Yes, the compassis mounted on the outside. The rail that supports the table when used as a berth provides protection from hard knocks.

I have the pictures so I will go ahead and send them.

Ray

Attachments

• Computer location.jpg
    Computer location.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 96
  • FGC location.jpg
    FGC location.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 98

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sorry Howard, I meant rate gyro sensor. And the instructions show it needing to be mounted 90° from how Ray has his computer mounted but it must not make a difference.

Laura, the S1 requires the RPS not the X5. My mistake. Not a bad option to add though.

Ray Rhode

Member III
The ST6000 I installed does not have the rate gyro. I don't think my location will work for the X5 if it has a reate gyro.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ray

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I mounted my FG compass in the same location as Ray but on the inside of the locker; according to Raymarine it does not matter if the compass faces forward or aft. I am still having problems, however, getting the FG compass to agree with the steering compass. It seems to lose the setting when the AP is turned off. Possibly a bad EPROM in the AP computer?

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Fluxgate Compass for MK IV

FWIW:

The Fluxgate in my 35-3 was mounted in the bilge in the dust bin:

The switch for the bilge pump stuck, and the water coming in thrugh the base of the mast filled the bilge.....

I pulled the compass and found it full of water......I called Raymarine......they said it is not WATERPROOF.....had to purchase a new compass (and replaced the bilge pump switch)

Again....

FWIW

SeaRogue

Member II
32-3 Install

I am about to have a raymarine xpilot 5 autopilot installed on my 32-3. I appreciate the information provided on this thread.

I don't know if there are differences between the other boats mentioned on this thread and the 32-3, from the standpoint of installation factors.

Where do you put the "head" or control unit? I would think that placing in on the pedestal support would be a good place to view and use it, but might wreak havoc with the compass mounted there.

Any advice or observations would be appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A question from the top row of the bleachers, if I may....
(our '95 Autohelm A4000+ is still working fine, FWIW)

Do the current versions all have a remote CPU? Ours incorporates this inside the control head pictured, FWIW. Formerly, I recall seeing ads for a recent AP product that included a rudder position sensor, and there are good threads on this site about the mounting of that sensor.

The fluxgate compass module, OTOH, looks to be unchanged from the Autohelm days before the product was purchased by Raymarine.

The Defender ad for this package is a hoot, also! It well may be "so easy a ten year old could install it", as far as the connection goes, but the hours of labor that go into an installation are all in the planning and wire routing. Precise boring of the the four holes in the wheel pedistal for mounting the motor drive will challenge ya for a hour+, also. I recall that it made me wish the first owner had stuck with the tiller option on our boat.

Great thread, and thanks to all for the commentary.

LB

Attachments

• 256748_l.jpg
    256748_l.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 45