• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1983 E28+... forward compartments filled w/water

Rob H

I just inherited a 1983 E28+ this season. When the boat was commissioned, we were told that water needed to be pumped out of the two compartments under the forward berth (the more forward one, holding the spare anchor, and then the larger one directly behind it). We surmised at the time that there was a clog in the bilge somewhere forward preventing water from flowing into the bilge. However, last weekend, after only about 6 weeks in the water, I had to pump out about 20 gallons of water that accumulated in those compartments (and had actually flowed down to the lower compartment where a drawer opens which had saturated the wood floor at the entrance to the forward berth... which is how I was aware of the problem).

Does anyone have any idea how so much water can be accumulating in those compartments (but not elsewhere)? Does anyone have any idea how I should attempt to rectify the situation? I am going back to the boat tomorrow to see how much water accumulated after about a week (with only limited rainfall).

Glyn Judson

Finding the source of your leak.

Rob, Congratulations on getting your E28+, it's a wonderful boat as many owners here will tell you. First of all, dip a finger into the water and determine if it's fresh or salty. If fresh, could it be coming form a water tank nearby? If salty, I would want to look for a leak from any through hull fitting in the area or a hose attached to them. You'll need to strip everything from the V-berth in order to understand what's up in there and to be clear that all the water has been removed (again). Can you stay at the boat for 24 hours? With 20 gallons recently removed in 42 days, that works out to about 2 gallons a day. Get all the water out and dry the area, then sprinkle talcum powder all over the inside of the hull in there and let the water sneak back in. Two gallons will allow most of the talc to remain but should show the path of the leak. Here's another long shot guess. Our former boat, an E25+ had an anchor locker drain hole drilled smack-dab into the bow a few inches above the waterline. Is there any chance that your boat is the same and is the bow low enough to allow water to fill the anchor locker and then seep past that bulkhead into the two lockers aft of that one? Look for a depth transducer or knot meter fitting in one of the lockers too. Inspect them to see if they are dripping. I'm running out of ideas here unless it's rain water entering from the deck/anchor locker hatch. Has it rained cats and dogs where the boat is in the last seven weeks? By the way, where are you located? Anyone else want to chime in, possibly an E28+ owner who can straighten me out about where things are located and aren't? Please keep us posted, inquisitive minds want to know. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey,CA

bayhoss

Member III
I have an 1986 E28 and encountered the same problem. There are two small holes in the lower section of the interior storage compartment that lead to the bildge. Take an ice pick (they are only about 1/8" in diamenter) and clear them. This will stop water build up. On my boat I found that water was finding entry around the seals on the topside anchor locker. The drain there was so stopped up that I put the garden hose to it to finially make it free to drain. After that, the problem went away.
Good luck, and keep me posted I'll look on mine to see if there are other possible points of entry.

Frank "Valinor" 28

Rob H

Thanks for your replies

I have a feeling bayhoss hit the nail on the head. Bayhoss... so what you are describing is too clogs... one in the anchor locker up on deck and one in the compartments? how did you clear the clog in the anchor locker? any tips? and where exactly are the two holes in one of the compartments? which compartment was it? there are three--the one that holds the spare anchor all the way forward, the middle one--the large one--that sits directly behind it and extends lower towards the floor, and the finally a small compartment beneath the large one which you access by a handle on a panel with a hinge that runs horizontally. I assume it was the small compartment--the one lowest to the floor (that must be it if it sits directly above the bilge). Can I drill a small hole there as well if i have trouble clearing the plugs?

bayhoss

Member III
Rob, In the interior, the middle compartment is the culprit. I used an ice pick and pushed the clog out with any difficulity. I do not recommend drilling. The supplied holes are plenty. The topside anchor locker is another story. The water gives us back a fair amount of "treats" that come home with us each time we use the hook. Coupled with the sea water, and then baked in the locker, this mud becomes as hard as any good brick. Remove everything from the locker, you will then find a 3/8 drain hole that leads to the bow.
I took the water hose and a metal coat hanger to work on this. If you seperate a coat hanger one end has a hook, the other looks like a corkscrew. In an true emergency with a bottle of wine it can be sharpened to work as a corkscrew. Back to the problem. Put the corkscrew end into the drain hole and put some water into bottom of the locker and spin the coat hanger. Remove the coathanger and put the hose to the opening full blast. The later phase is certain to give an unpleasant bath. Repeat this process - mine took hours! Eventually you will have this drain and its related problems done. After locking horns with mine I take the hose to the anchor, chain, rode, and then to the drain after each use.
Keep me posted,
Frank
:egrin:

bayhoss

Member III
Rob, My manners are sleeping at the wheel! Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the exchange!
:egrin:

u079721

Contributing Partner
20 gallons? That's a LOT of water. Assuming you don't have a leaking fresh water tank forward, my first thought was it had to be the anchor pan. And as has been mentioned, the drains for these plug up all the time.

First I would make sure that the hose itself is not leaking, or has not falling off the pipe glassed into the bow. But if the hose is just plugged, what I did was use a length of flexible yet stiff wire as a DIY marine roto-rooter, and used a drill from time to time to clean the dried mud out of the hose

Rob H

problem hopefully solved

I was just out at the boat this morning. I attempted to pour some water down the drain hole in the anchor locker and indeed, it was totally clogged. I then took a wire hanger and fed it into the hole. The clog immediately cleared and water flowed out the through hull in the bow.

I was not able to find any holes that lead to the bilge in the compartments.

But I am thinking that what i have done is basically sufficient. The only reason that much water should accumulate in the compartments is a clogged anchor locker drain. If the drain gets clogged again I almost prefer that the water accumulate in the compartments rather than the bilge... because i'm afraid the bilge may overflow which would create a huge mess throughout the cabin.

thanks again everyone for chiming in.