• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck shower - Fun little project

cawinter

Member III
Just to summarize a fun little project that I just finished on my E34:

I tapped into the cold water feed going through the stb. lazarette. Note: there was a "T" that split the pump side into a hose to the water heater (which I had removed a while back) and one going to the head. The water heater port had a small check valve built in which I did not recognize as such. It was frozen, and I removed it. I routed 5/8" reinforced hose to a PVC ball valve mounted against the top part of the 'wall' just above the coolant reservoir. From there I routed behind the wall, following the path of the holding tank vent hose and the exhaust hose through the aft bulkhead near the blower and from there on the bottom of the aft lazarette and in front of the rudder tube to the port side. I had a SS plate in the bulkhead, and I added a cutout to put in one of the Scandvik deck shower kits (http://www.scandvik.com Model 10775). Reasonably simple setup, and now I have 10ft of deck shower to rinse off after coming out of the water.

Known vulnerability: If we ever get swamped, I'll have a problem area at the cap to the shower holder. I might remove the assembly next year and replace it with one of those water in/out fittings which does not present that potential problem.

A fun little project that will be tested next week when we go up to LI Sound for a few days.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cockpit shower kits

I wonder if anyone has installed a cockpit shower that proved to be of good quality. There's this one, which is perhaps a version of the model referenced above: Scandvik Shower Box SVK-10640 . There's the Attwood version at WM, which I saw yesterday and which, uh, did not impress. Any recommendations?

[I had missed this more specific thread which has some good suggestions--any updates? ]

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?6396-Deck-Shower

Last edited:

cawinter

Member III
Update 3 years later

A Happy New Year to the Ericson Family! :)

My setup is still working great! The shower head is of great quality (chrome-plated brass, nicely polished), and the two o-rings are sealing tightly. Easy to replace if they weren't. I disassemble every winter as part of winterizing. Use-wise, the 10ft hose is perfect. I could have put in more, but I made sure beforehand that I could reach everything in/around the cockpit. We have enjoyed many a rinse-offs both on the boarding ladder (mount the brown steps on the 1" tubing to make standing easier) and the cockpit. Water pressure is good enough.

BTW, I never addressed the swamping concern. The cap seals of any rain and spray, and the opening is about 8" above the floor. That is an acceptable risk to me.