• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Wheel Upsize

adavid

Member II
I am considering upsizing the steering wheel on my '86 E28. The current wheel is a 28" diameter, and I find it difficult to steer from a position where I can see the telltales, waves, other boats, etc.

Has anyone put on a bigger wheel? What size works? I am considering going to a 36" or 40". The drawbacks that I see are...

1. It will be more difficult to use the engine controls.
2. It will be more difficult to move around the wheel.
3. It might be more difficult for my young children to steer since the top of the wheel will be above their head.

Thought?

Thanks!
Andy

Glyn Judson

Bigger wheel??

Andy, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Take a moment to think about your planned wheel exchange my friend. Regardless of wheel diameter, you'll still need to lean to one side or the other the exact same distance off center to see whatever. I too have a 28" wheel and a gigantic 150 that necessitates my leaning waaaay over to see around, etc and I just accept that. In the case of either a small or larger wheel, you'll still be hanging on to the rim of some wheel for balance so the question really gets down to how much bend in your elbow there will be. For nothing more than that, I'd be tempted to keep the wheel you now have and in addition for all the reasons you've already surfaced. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Andy - I agree with you. If you can't see the sails, telltales, and where you are going you need a bigger wheel. Trying to sail from behind the wheel doesn't really work.

Your first two drawbacks are true; the kids will adapt and will learn to do things correctly as they grow.

As a practical matter you will have to make some measurements to see what will work.

Mindscape

Member III
Bigger wheel - maybe

Andy - I went the other way - my 32-3 came with a 40" wheel, which is bigger than the original wheel. I enjoyed the bigger wheel, and found it easy to steer from the low side, where I could see the tell tales and under the genoa, on the other hand sitting down there you can't see anything off the high side if you have much heel going on. It seemed easier to over steer the boat with this wheel, I'm not sure if that's true or just my imagination..... I solo sail alot and the bigger wheel was hard to get out from behind and this is the biggest reason I changed to a 36" wheel, which is only 2" per side, but it made a big difference. My wife likes the smaller wheel, as someone mentioned, it does not stand as high. Overall I liked the bigger wheel, but the hassles it caused trying to get around it were not worth it, and I can still steer from the low side, I think I just have my arm extended a little more and maybe lean forward a little more. So my opinion - bigger is good, but maybe not better all things considered, the ability to easily move out from behind the wheel ulitmatly was the deciding factor for me.