• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor at Island White?

paul culver

Member III
Have any of you SoCal Ericsons anchored overnight at Island White in Long Beach Harbor? It looks like the recommended spot is right off the man-made waterfall on the island. I'd be swinging from a single hook (all I have for now) so hopefully wind and swells will line up, if there are any. Any other recommendations for overnight anchoring anywhere in LA/LB harbors would also be appreciated. I'd like to start getting farther up the coast before cutting over to Catalina on my annual week-long this August.

Thanks

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Paul, Go for it. I have never anchored there but I sailed down from San Pedro and around Island White just a couple weeks ago. Not sure but as I recall it looked like most anchored there we're on single hooks. There were quite a few boats anchored there on a Sunday. You might want to check with the Shoreline Marina Harbor Master. I think this is the number: (562) 570-1815

I know you can also anchor in the west channel near Cabrillo Beach near the public launch ramp. Not sure who you need to contact off hand. LA Harbor Master or Port Police I think.

Beam Winds

Jeff

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I've anchored there a couple of times, usually just stopping for lunch.
Most people are just there for the day, so overnight you would
probably have the place to yourself. It's pretty protected there so
swells are not really an issue. It's about 25 feet there with a sand/mud
bottom.

paul culver

Member III
Thanks for the feedback Jeff and Martin. I'll probably try White first with Cabrillo as a back-up. If all goes according to plan I'll be there Monday night, Aug 17.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

rgoff

Member III
It's been several years since I was there, but if I remember correctly (which is iffy these days) they only allowed overnighting on the weekend (post 9/11 related). You might want to check.

Or maybe it was one of the other islands?

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
Thanks for the heads-up Ralph. I checked and you're right -- overnight anchoring is only allowed Friday through Sunday. Not sure its 9/11 security related since they will allow you to pick up a mooring in the same area anytime for $25 per night (Hmmm). You make arrangements online at belmontpier.com.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Don Taugher

Member II
Island White

Hi Paul:

Island White is a great place to anchor, have done it frequently, first in a 29 and now in a 38. Single hook is all anyone uses. The island protects the area from westerly swells, but you might get a light off shore breeze in the evening, so allow for swinging room in the event the direction changes.

When heading to Catalina, we prefer to head out of Angels Gate rather than Queen's Gate, it is a more direct path crossing the shipping lanes.

Have a great time.

Don Taugher
Running Free E-38

paul culver

Member III
Thanks again for all the input. We moored for the night at the island and it was very comfortable. The theatrical lighting at night on the palm trees and fake condos was spectacular and hoakey at the same time, not to mention the waterfall. By the way, the mooring ball had a tag telling you either to raise the mooring master on channel 12 or call a phone number. I got no response on channel 12 and a no-longer-in-service on the phone number so it looks like its all free for now.