• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Info on E27

Phil Adams

Member I
Firstly thanks for an excellent website!

Having owned an E27 for some four years now, based in the Isle of Man, I've read with interest all the threads regarding these boats whilst I've been continuously upgrading her.

Work so far: new sails including roller reefing, new standing & running rigging, new upholstery, spray hood fitted, full engine rebuild including relocation of raw water seacock (no more lying on the cabin sole trying to open the valve!), new heads & pipework, hull stripped and Coppercoated.

My next project is to be upgrades to deck hardware. Has anybody upgraded the standard winches to self tailers and if so how did you remove originals? I've had a look in the port hand locker already for access but the starboard winch fixings appear to be behind the interior liner?

Also, does anyone have any photos of the genoa track locations/fixings for smaller sails? Trithena's genoa isn't huge and as a result I struggle to get the sheeting angles with the standard track positions well aft.

Looking forward to your comments.

Phil Adams.
Trithena
Port St Mary - Isle of Man

Last edited:

Walter Pearson

Member III
I made two large holes in the headliner above the quarterberth to access the winch and cleat fasteners on the starboard side. You could size the holes to accept a standard deck plate to cover. You almost need two holes anyway so you can get hands and tools up there and still see what you're doing and thus keep your sanity.

When I had my deck painted a few years ago, I removed all hardware and trim. As a result, I have several of those access holes in various places. Where possible, I used the Beckson deckplate with the storage bag insert, so it almost looks as though there was a grand plan.

Walter Pearson
'76 E27 "Mejagay"

Phil Adams

Member I
Cheers Walter,

Will take a look at it this weekend when I'm on the boat. I have thought about cutting out a hole in the cockpit alongside the winch base and fitting a small cave locker in the opening after replacing the winch but I'm not sure of the depth available. Your solution sounds easier and a simpler fix to cover up the hole in the liner!

Regards,

Phil
'Trithena'

Glyn Judson

Winch access from beneath.

Phil, I too had the same problem in our old E25+ getting access to the starboard winch with the quarter berth fully lined there. Once in there I was relieved to see that the factory had cut an access hole under the winch base that they covered with a nicely made elliptical chunk of teak veneered 1/4" plywood. Two screws held it in place and the winch base was right there above it. I like Walter's idea better though, a nice Becson plate. As an aside, while working in there, I felt/heard something rattle adjacent to the opening. I reached in there and came out with a fine, albeit very rusty pair of old Vice-Grips, probably in there since leaving the factory. So get out your saber saw or cutout tool and get to work. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull#55, Marina del Rey, CA

sterling8008

I have a 1976 E27 split cockpit model, and on the port and stbd seat backrests there are wood framed fiberglass recesses used to contain such items as winch handles, line, etc. Upon removal of screws and cutting away some sealant the recesses can be removed with the wood frame attached revealing access to the underside of the winches. Does your E27 model have these recesses?

Phil Adams

Member I
Nothing fitted as you describe, are they stock items or do they look like one off's? Have you got a photo? Could be quite a handy stowage area, there's never enough in the cockpit!

Phil
'Trithena'
IOM