• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thoughts on an E-34 in NC

Donnie

Hi, Donnie Long, new memember. Looking at E-34. Did the basic survey myself. Her draft is 4'11". She has a universal M28 with a 4pt motor mount and a new transmission and a hydraulic autopilot.
Drawbacks: I noticed a list to starbord and a pull to the port, but I guess we all know about that, a loose keel (I can shake it), cracked decks at the anchor locker and companion way hatch and leak under the decks in the lazerate. Thoughts on this?
Perspective buyer.
Donnie

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My Guess, based on limited info...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=7346&url=

Is this the listing?
I will go out on a limb a bit and say that there is no such thing as a Universal M28. At least not according to the Westerbeke/Universal web site.

A straight across replacement for the original M25 (21 hp) or perhaps maybe a M25XP (23 hp) would have been a new M25XPB (26 hp). I imagine that for more money and interior modification a larger Universal could be shoehorned in, but that would been a four cylinder engine.
:nerd:
Now, the broker will take the tack that he only parrots what the owner tells him.... but anyone in the sailboat biz should know stuff like this before writing up the listing.
Since this is "full price" listing for this model, it better not be needin' much fixin'.
IMHO. :rolleyes:

The list of quality Nexus stuff sounds really nice, albeit these might be orphans in the present US market. Distribution could be restored any time, and maybe it already has... Seach under Silva when researching.

Some rigging is listed as having been replaced, and that's to the good; but why not all?

A good survey will tell the "rest of the story", and you have already done some research on your own. Owners of sisterships should be checking in here after the holiday is over.

Good luck. Those are attractive and fast boats. Gorgeous, actually.

Loren

ps: you might want to get a preliminary boat yard quote on a keel rebedding -- plan to spend anywhere from 1.2K to 2K. (very rough guess)

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hi, Donnie Long, new memember. Looking at E-34. Did the basic survey myself. Her draft is 4'11". She has a universal M28 with a 4pt motor mount and a new transmission and a hydraulic autopilot.
Drawbacks: I noticed a list to starbord and a pull to the port, but I guess we all know about that, a loose keel (I can shake it), cracked decks at the anchor locker and companion way hatch and leak under the decks in the lazerate. Thoughts on this?
Perspective buyer.
Donnie

A lot of 34s list to Stbd. My 35 does also. Bruce King sailed on my friend's 34 when they purchased it new. He had them install 400lb of lead on the port side.

Being able to move the keel is really bad and a good surveyor should be able to see why but something could be broken. It sounds like a possible hard grounding. Cracks in the deck at the trailing edge of the anchor locker are also fairly common on 34s and 35s of this vintage.

I am sure there are more leaks than what you found. 20 years is a good time to rebed everything along with potting all the holes.

pbaileyjr

E-35 for sale

Hello Donnie, sounds like a problem boat to me. We have an E-35 for sale that you might be interested in. She's located near Belhaven, NC. Give us a shout if you're interested. She's posted here BTW.

Perspective buyer.
Donnie