• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water on Deck @ 10 second intervals

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Current conditions of the Washington coast. Quote attached below.
Not to brag -- like saying "our weather's more worser than yer weather!" :rolleyes:
But I was just thinking of a couple of friends that canceled separate trips up the WA coast over the last few days. They intend to try again later in July, to get in some cruising in Puget Sound and into BC waters.
When it gets rough in the summer, with the wave period and height substantially the same, and you combine that heavy wind-on-the-nose (and, wait there's more...) with a knot of south-flowing surface current, it becomes too rough for recreational boating adventures.
Cheers,
Loren in sunny Portland, 90 miles upstream...

Coastal waters from Cape Shoalwater, WA to Cascade Head, OR out 20NM
COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON
256 AM PDT MON JUN 29 2009
COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WASHINGTON TO FLORENCE OREGON
AND WESTWARD 60 NM
PZZ250-255-270-275-291645-
COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WA TO CASCADE HEAD OR OUT
10 NM-COASTAL WATERS FROM CASCADE HEAD TO FLORENCE OR OUT 10 NM-
WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WA TO CASCADE HEAD OR FROM 10 TO
60 NM-WATERS FROM CASCADE HEAD TO FLORENCE OR FROM 10 TO 60 NM-
256 AM PDT MON JUN 29 2009

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR WINDS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE
TUESDAY NIGHT

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR HAZARDOUS SEAS IN EFFECT THROUGH
TUESDAY EVENING

TODAY
N WIND 20 TO 25 KT...WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 10 FT N TO 13 FT S...WITH DOMINANT
PERIOD 10 SECONDS.

TONIGHT
N WIND 25 TO 30 KT...EASING TO 20 TO 25 KT AROUND
MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 10 FT N TO 13 FT S...WITH DOMINANT PERIOD
9 SECONDS.

Last edited:

Matey

Member III
We snuck out

Loren,

I'm familiar with the conditions of which you speak. I helped deliver a friend's N51 Seaductress up to Bremmerton from Richmond last August in great weather. Our attempt at bringing her back in November was aborted due to a blown out window (a misplaced screw by the manufacturer) . Heading south thru Admiralty Inlet back to Seattle for repairs we were caught in a gale and retreated to Port Angeles for a day before getting south. Those were nasty conditions ! That pretty much left the boat up there for the winter due to logistics.
June 10th I flew up and we left Bremmerton on the 11th to come back to SF. The worst of it was from Port Angeles to Cape Flattery .. with the waves you mention but a bit longer period and 20 knots on the nose.. we tried beach combing up the shore of the Straits and that helped a bit. 10 miles or so from the the Cape the breeze swung a few degrees and as we turned south we settled into a nice ride and longer swell. Had pretty big seas and winds to 30 down to Westport, but the rest of the way down the coast we had following seas with daily decreasing winds and a beautiful trip. We stayed near shore between 5-20 miles.
In September I'll be on another delivery of the 43' cruising cutter Island Girl from Port Townsend to Emeryville. We're thinking of getting 50-60 miles out for a better breeze to come down with no stops. Any experience that time of year ?
I've really been enjoying the the Washington / Oregon coasts. I could get used to these trips. :nerd:

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 43

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have not done a late fall trip south since I brought our previous Niagara 26 home from PA to Portland at the end of Sept '83.
Most deliveries are late August, in that direction.
We lucked out with long low swells, albeit no wind. There were three of us guys and since this was before affordable small tillerpilots we hand steered, one at the time, 3 on and 6 off.
Weather can be surprisingly good or bad that time of year. Just watch the Pacific weather charts for incoming lows.

I envy your trips on such nice (and large) boats. That hard dodger looks real nice. :)

Loren

Matey

Member III
Down the coast

Loren,

We're a bit concerned about light breezes, but have a 600 mile motoring range.. that I hope we don't have to test. We will be watching very close near our travel window and if the season turns early, the Skipper may elect to leave her up in the sound till summer. Neither of us like hard & fast plans. We'll come down with a crew of four.
The big boats are very nice to travel aboard for sure. While Seaductress was quite comfortable with cherry & leather, $50K in electronics and staterooms for each .. I'm looking real forward to the trip on Island Girl. Designed by Carl Chamberlain, she was a custom build in Whangarei, New Zealand out of kaura and Burma teak. She is exquisite. She's cruised the last 12 years in Fiji, Tonga and Tuvalu and made the 6500 mile sail up to Port Townsend last year. Unlike Seaductress, we'll travel with her binnacle compass, a couple hand held GPS' and a sextant for navigation. Her hard dodger will be great for the trip, but it's a bit confining.

Sleeping in a wood boat's fo'c's'le again will be wonderful. That's how I spent my teenage years and I love the sounds and smells.

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 1 (9).jpg
    1 (9).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 38