• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mindscape

Member III
Not positive but....

I've got a 22 pound Lewmar (bruce style) on my 32-3 roller, It fits no problem, although I added a small SS plate on the deck so the anchor was not resting directly on the deck. With a 33 Bruce type I think you'd be ok, except for where the shank comes back on the deck, there could be 2 issues, the shank resting on the deck which could be easily handled as I described with a small SS plate, the second would be the length of the shank may be long enough that it would rest on the top of the anchor locker, making it a pain to open the locker, this should be easy to measure and check. I've been happy with mine, I don't anchor a lot, but it is easy to use, sets pretty quick and seems to hold well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Attachments

• 53_2.JPG.jpeg
    53_2.JPG.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 203

ref_123

Member III
Fits fine, but 2 issues...

My typing skills are really rusty today...

We have a 33-lb Bruce on our 32-3. As Mindscape pointed out, an SS plate is advisable to prvent the gelcoat abuse by the shaft of the anchor. The problems are:

- you need something that keeping the anchor from sliding forward and lets you to release it fast when needed. Due to the chain routing, making it fast on a cleat is not a nice solution. We opted for an SS U-shaped loop. When it's down, it holds the anchor from sliding forward, and when it is up, it makes sure the chain/rope does not get out of the roller.

- regular loop-like shakles will get stuck in the roller when you are raising the anchor. We used one of those swivel type shackles, and it does go through nicely.

Regards,
Stan

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Thanx guys - FWIW, I put a piece of aluminum on the deck of my E-34 to support my 33# Bruce and also put an edge guard on the forward edge of the anchor well to keep the chain from chipping the gel coat.

ref_123

Member III
Bigger roller?

Hi Loren,

I was actually seeking for advice on the same issue, as yes, indeed, the roller is slightly undersized for the 33-pounder, so the yard manager told me that to replace an integrated stem fitting/bow roller that 32-3 has with a new roller and a separate stem fitting would be a major expensive PITA. He also told me we will be fine with the old roller.

Now, that was a few years ago and since then I found that guy was wrong in other areas more than once. Still, that "allegedly PITA" replacement seems like a real one to me. So, if there is an easy way to replace this current "integrated" bow contraption, I'd sure like to find out.

Regards,
Stan

Mindscape

Member III
Quick Release Pin

I put a quick release pin thru the anchor (drilled a hole for it) and the roller to keep the anchor in place, used a ss leader to keep the pin attached to the boat, it's easy to release it and just drop it. running the chain out on the 32-3 is a diferent problem as described above.