• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Diesel Fuel

larossa

Member II
Hello All,

I was wondering if there was a difference between the diesel fuel you get at the local marina and the diesel fuel you would get at the truck stop. If there is a difference what would be better for your boat diesel auxiliary?

Thanks,

Brian

E31C Nemo
Metro Detroit

hodo

Member III
The difference is the color added to help the feds figure out whether it is on or off road fuel. Less tax on off road, at least here in Wa.
Harold

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
IIRC off road diesel has a different sufur content. I think fuel docks have to sell the same diesel as gas stations but maybe not. I run mostly gas station diesel as I fill from Jerry cans and only occasionally buy from fuel docks.

FWIW I've run out of fuel twice in the past year too... Had to sail into fuel dock last fourth of July in Solomons. Scared the hell out of the dock attendant as we came in under full main and spinnaker too... Second time was a few weeks ago single handing with my kids (6 and 3) Narrowly made it over the sandbar in our harbor before low tide then sailed into slip. Not sure what I will do with a new boat that I dont know the helm on...

chaco

Member III
PreFilter your Diesel

Would recommend PreFilter with Baha Funnel in to your Fuel Tank! Does a good job of getting the rocks and water out :cool:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
IIRC off road diesel has a different sufur content. I think fuel docks have to sell the same diesel as gas stations but maybe not. I run mostly gas station diesel as I fill from Jerry cans and only occasionally buy from fuel docks.

I do the same. I add Biocid and enzyme fuel additives every fill up, and every other time a cap full of ATF fluid. I haven't changed a fuel filter in over two years. Still have the original steel tank from 1973. Fuels clean as a whistle.

Captain Crunch

Member II
What does the ATF do for your fuel? Also does anyone add acetone to there fuel? A few years ago it was all the rage to increase fuel economy in cars.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
What does the ATF do for your fuel? Also does anyone add acetone to there fuel? A few years ago it was all the rage to increase fuel economy in cars.

According to a mechanic who rebuilt my Yanmar, it helps keep injectors clean. Been doing it for a few years now and all I know is it doesn't hurt. I never heard about adding acetone. Seems like that would be a bit harsh, not to mention really flammable?:scared:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The ATF info is interesting. I was using Lucas Fuel Treatment in my car for a while but it seemed to make the engine knock. I had a tune up and stopped using it and the engine still knocked. I started using mid-octane gas instead of regular and it stopped knocking. I think our quality of fuel is getting worse.

I would think the problem with Acetone would be the rubber fuel lines. Doesn't Acetone deteriorate rubber?

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I checked with some marinas around here and they all use Ultra Low Sulphur highway DF. It was stated that it was very hard to get off-highway Low Sulphur DF so they don't bother. Don't worry about loss of injector and injection pump lubrication as the government mandated the addition of additional lubrication to counteract the loss of Sulphur. Adding ATF fluid is probably a waste of money and has the potential to plug injector tips and increased deposits in the piston ring grooves. Most mechanics don't have the technical expertise to answer engineering questions. Call the engine manufacturer and talk to their application and lubrication engineers.

cawinter

Member III
Cetane boost, biocide and water dispellant

I went to the famed Union City Mack Boring Diesel course a few years ago. For Yanmar (they are the distributor) they recommend the FPPF line of products. I have been using the combined (back bottle) biocide/water dispellant but never used the Cetane enhancer. Hard to tell if this has/had an impact other than my engine is running just fine!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Additives...

Whether it's fuels or lubricants the diesel mechanic that conducts engine and systems classes at our YC always tells owners to first follow the manufacturer's recommendations. With four + decades of experience his take on it is that the engine/transmission engineers have a lot of R&D experience that owners need to take advantage of; and the engine builders have millions of hours of service time to guide them.
As you might imagine, he advises against putting anything other than some bug killer in the fuel. That, and doing your best to put clean dry diesel into the tank (and keep it that way).

This often disappoints owners who are always asking about some new (or old) "special super panther-piss" additive for their engines...
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren
:cool:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My Mechanic works for a Official Yanmar / Perkins Dealer, Parts and Service Center that's been business for over 30 years. Biocide to kill the bugs, enzyme to break down their shells after they are dead. And a cap full of ATF because it helps the medicine go down. After researching this in various diesel forums I find if you talk to 10 people you get 10 answers. I am sure using anything more than a table spoon in 15 gallons could have damaging effects. I also read truckers use it to assist when bleeding the lines because it helps break down the bubbles.

Emerald

ATF has heavy detergents in it, and as such, is often used as an old trick to free sticking lifters (when added to oil), clean out combustion chambers feeding in via vacuum line (don't recommend doing this unless you're prepared for flames out your exhaust). These are all "tricks" that can work and serve their place, but I wouldn't do any of this on a regular basis, but to only address specific issues. As others have pointed out, the engineering and R&D into these engines and fuel systems is extensive, and I wouldn't recommend doing any of this as routine. Also, don't forget, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :egrin: