• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main Halyard

Finally

Previously, I'd asked about the first thing you'd do as a new owner. I started looking at projects and so forth and saw some phenomenal work and workmanship!
So. I generally sail single-handed, or with crew whose primary function seems to be deck candy. I don't have anything against deck candy, mind you, but lashing the tiller, running up to the mast and hoisting the main, running back to the cockpit, (hopefully before the main catches air or decides to do a short jibe), trimming the main, then hauling the genoa, while my deck candy watches is rapidly becoming my second least favorite thing to do. Deck candy training is NOT an option. (First place goes to watching a beautiful sailing day through my office window.)
Has anyone with an E-27 done a conversion from the mast winch to a winch/clutch combination reachable from the cockpit? I've seen installations in some of your photos, and it looks possible. Obviously, I'm concerned about the load on the cabin overhead, as well as mounting the block(s) at the foot of the mast.
As always, thanks, in advance!
Matt Nunes
SV Finally

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi Matt,

I just completed such a project on my E29 and believe it would be similar on your E27. I'm no expert--but it was pretty straight forward for me. I have attached a few pics to show the configuration. The only thing missing is a rope clutch that I will eventually mount ahead of the winch--however I was anxious to get the project done enough to use it--till I could research and afford a rope clutch.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• DSCF7001.jpg
    DSCF7001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF7002.jpg
    DSCF7002.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF7003.jpg
    DSCF7003.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 59

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Have you considered a tiller pilot? While I have most lines to the cockpit in my boat I still use the autopilot to hold her on course while I hoist sail, etc. IMHO, you will get more use out of the tiller pilot as not only will it allow you to use your current setup as designed, you will also be able to take a break from the tiller and better enjoy the "deck candy". I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of the deck hardware, halyard, clutch, blocks, etc. to run the line back is a significant percentage of the cost of a tiller pilot. RT

Finally

Thanks again!

I am considering a tiller pilot, and have it on "the list." It's a very long list. It's part of my, "I'm eventually taking her off shore, and I'll want to have a......for that." Right now, I'm okay on the river and near shore, although I'm concerned about the notice that a waterspout was spotted on the River, headed north, this morning.
Anyway, leading more of my lines aft is probably a first, since it not only will help off shore, but even with the sailing I've been doing and probably will until I haul her next spring.
I'm curious about under the deck reinforcement for the two blocks and winch, particularly the "snatch" at the mast foot. I like the way that you mounted to the deck and not the mast. (I've never heard of a problem mounting to the mast, but I'm not aware of any reinforcement inside of the mast, there.)
Your installation looks simple and clean, both concepts that make me smile.

Nice looking job!
Matt Nunes
SV Finally

Gmilburn

Member III
More info

Hi Matt,

My E29 had the holes already drilled in the deck by the previous owner and the screws were plugging them. So all I did was find the right blocks and hole spacing and reattach them. (Mine ended up being a Schaefer Halyard Lead Block and a Shaefer Turning Block). The winch was there all along--but has a plywood block under it (between the deck top fiberglass and the fiberglass headliner inside). I have attached a couple pics of the configuration from the solon--nothing special--just some bolts and cap nuts. If you look closely at the original photo, you may be able to see that two more screws exist for the cam cleat that was probably there before. I intend to add a rope clutch after sailing season--but really dont need it. I hope this all helps!

Attachments

• cheek block2.jpg
    cheek block2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 48
  • turn block.jpg
    turn block.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 40

Finally

Perfect

Thanks! That was exactly the information I was looking for. A bit of online shopping, and a quick peek under the headliner should get me to the right place to start.
Thanks again for the photos and time to answer!
Matt Nunes
SV Finally
Cocoa, FL