• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Proud new owner of Finally

Finally

You have no idea what a find this site has been. I purchased "Finally" last September. The PO sort of "forgot" to mention a few things, and I didn't do as much experimentation as I should have before I signed. Lust is an awful thing, I guess. The septic system is functional, at last, with a new y valve and hoses. The Atomic 4 runs well, and I've already found the fix for the transmission issue I had, here on the site.
So, she's a "strippy" with minimal amenities, and an endless source for work and cash expense if I choose to do so.
On the good side, the rigging is simplified, she sails like a dream, and I got her for a song.
She's tentatively scheduled for a haulout next spring, "no name" roller furled genoa, Mast mounted winch for main. Desperately needs a new sliding hatch, and admittedly a challenge for a single hander the way things are at the moment.
I got her ('74 e-27) for $6,000. She's kept in a slip in Cocoa.
Question: Please put yourself in my position. Safety and signalling has been updated. Horseshoe throwable PFD's were sun rotted and replaced, for example.
I have a list that goes from right here to way over there of things I'd like to do. My question, again, putting yourself in my place, what would you consider priority number 1, 2, 3, etc?

Matt Nunes
SV Finally

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Welcome Matt.

Safety is a no brainer. Make sure she will bring you back to shore, then start on the fun stuff.

If you have not had the standing rigging inspected, I would do that first. Other safety items that come to mind are:

Seacocks
Steering cables if she has a wheel
Lifelines
Good ground tackle suitable for your area
etc.

Last edited:

Finally

Thanks!

The rigging was overhauled before I bought her, thank heaven and the broker. I've replaced two sections of safety line. The pelican hooks both had the screw break, so that one could neither open nor close them. I found out about the "close" part, after I finally picked the screw portion out. West Marine's rigging bench got a work out, but they came out great. The pulpit is a bit bent. Looks like a piling got "nudged" at some point, so the pulpit itself looks a bit inebriated with a port list I only can see looking dead on the bow. Annoying, but liveable for the moment.

Assuming that she's sailable and that the engine runs well, what would you regard as the change you've made that added the most convenience?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Most of the work I have done has been cosmetic. New instruments this year certainly is a plus.

Maybe the new(non leaking) portlights last year have been the most convenient upgrade. Folding wheel a few years ago made a huge difference in comfort at anchor. Another good one for comfort is the new 35lb Mansen Supreme anchor that lets me sleep like a baby.

See my website below for some of the work I have done. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Also, a good guide for upgrades may come from your sailing partner. Keeping them happy will make sailing all that much more fun.

noproblemo2

Member III
Welcome Matt and congratulations. As previously mentioned safety first, then the extras that everyone wants to make her their own. Happy Sailing!!!:cheers: