• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mission Bay, Oceanside, Dana Point, Cabrillo

Sven

Seglare
Nancy and I are now planning to cruise at a leisurely pace, up to our new home port. Instead of the 27 hour non-stop trip to Catalina for the Gathering we'll probably stop off twice, once at Oceanside and then at Dana Point.

Since we've never been in either harbor as cruisers we're looking for any info that we should be aware of. We have the VHF and phone info for the guest slip accommodations and we'll play it by ear, hoping that reservations won't be needed. If there is no room we can always keep going.

Any don'ts or dos ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Skip Jim

Member II
Sven,

I have only sailed into Oceanside once. My engine wasn't working, so we stopped in Oceanside for repairs. It was easy to sail in when I did it, but I have heard that it can get tricky at the entrance. Stay to the right, the left is Camp Pendleton. Should be fine with this weather.

If you like fish and chips, walk over to Harbor Fish and Chips (I think that is the name) very good fish. It is next to the fishing charter boats.

Skip Jim

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jim, or Skip, or Skip Jim :)

When you say Camp Pendelton do you mean that part of the harbor is restricted ? I haven't looked at the charts yet, other than to confirm that there is indeed a harbor but will do that before we set off.

The Fish and Chips place sounds perfect. Speaking of food ... the "restaurant" down the road from Driscoll's has a great Sunday brunch. Buffet for $9/adult, half (?) for kids. We've eaten there three times and will miss it.

Thanks,

-Sven

rgoff

Member III
When entering Oceanside, if you go straight ahead you're going towards the Camp Pendelton area. Hang a right and you go to the public area. After hanging a right be sure and stay to the right. There are buoys on the left side of the channel that mark sunken objects. Don't remember the buoy colors.

Plenty of County guest slips available, although you might need reservations this time of year (especially the weekend). Call the harbor at 760-435-4000 for info. Easy walk from the guest slips to plenty of eating/drinking places. No anchorage area at Oceanside.

Oceanside has a reputation for difficult entry, but I've been there several times and no problems. I think it takes a big south swell to cause them.

Dana Point harbor has guest slips and a nice free anchorage area at the west end. There are some restrictions on leaving the boat with no one aboard if anchored. Don't remember exactly. Call 949-496-6137 for guest slip info.

Have a fun trip.

Last edited:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Dana Point Stop

Sven,

I was pleased to hear you and Nancy will make a more relaxed sail to your new home. Let me know when you are planning to stop in Dana Point. I would love to see the two of you again. I will out of town this week-end, but returning Sunday evening. If you are available on Sunday of Monday evening I would love to see you for dinner and/or drinks (on me).

Stay safe,

Sam Vickery
1986 32-3 North Star

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
When I did my trip up from Chula Vista to San Pedro in Nov. 2002, we came into Dana Point at 4:30 am in total darkness after a 17 hour trip. Remember the old adage, "Never go into a unfamiliar harbor at night"? Well I had forgot it. You have to go around to the northwest end. See the Pic. You can't get under that Bridge. No big deal, it's a well marked entrance and the guest docks were very nice. Love Dana Point, lots of good places to eat within walking distance. It took about 8 hours from there to San Pedro the next day. Kinda wish I had popped into Oceanside. We we're dead tired when we got to Dana Point.

As I recall the Guest Slips are here. See Pic.

Check the web link:http://www.danapointmarina.com/guest-slip.php

Lucky Sea Dogs, I'm sure Sam will treat you right.

Beam Winds, see you at Cabrillo soon.

Attachments

• dana_point_harbor_02.jpg
    dana_point_harbor_02.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 266

Sven

Seglare
Thanks !

We appreciate all the hints and are bringing them with us.

Sam, sorry we'll miss you this time. By Sunday we plan to be in Cabrillo :egrin:

Appreciate the offer.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Sven,

I will be on the water taking a friend & his family for a day sail on Sunday (Father's Day Sail). We will keep an eye out for you.

Sven

Seglare
A great cruise !

We made it to Cabrillo Marina at about 4 PM yesterday.

Doing the trip in three legs turns out to have been the right choice ... it was great.

Now we are safely berthed in our "new" slip and are very happy with how it all turned out, including happenings along the way.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well,

I will have to wonder over to the other side and take a look see. Welcome to San Peeedro! Just remember locals don't call it Pedro. Yes my Friend / Father, Wife and Daughter we're "Blown Away" on Sunday. We sailed down to and around Island White in Long Beach. Got to try out my new preventer system on the sled ride down to LB. Tacked all the way back inside the break water. Gusting over 25 knots at times. Reefed Main & Jib and still doing 6 + knots beating. Watched a beautiful old ketch blow out his Main just outside our Marina entrance.

See you on the Docks Sven. I'll actually be down around 5pm tonight for a couple hours.

Beam Winds!

Jeff

Sven

Seglare
Watched a beautiful old ketch blow out his Main just outside our Marina entrance.

I think we saw that ketch heading out. Quite a few problem calls too, MDR to Long Beach, capsized, dead engine, and general confusion.

One sailboat reported a possibly unmanned powerboat steaming at 10 kts towards Newport. After an hour of trying to intercept it and make contact it was finally seen turning North and apparently under control.

We powered from inside the breakwater, southern entrance. Had been on one tack since Dana Point and it was time to either reef the main too or just power the last little bit. The last little bit still took over an hour !

-Sven