• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Helpful preventive step on transmission/gear shift lever

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
This may help you avoid an unnecessary transmission rebuild or similar repair. Our 16 hp Universal engine had been running well, but began to slip out of gear occasionally/unpredictably with a grinding sound like a slipping transmission. On investigation, I found a small nut on the steering cable linkage where it connects to the transmission shifting lever. This nut was backed off about 1/4", which I think introduced some play into the shift mechanism, allowing the transmission to begin to slip out of gear (perhaps due to engine vibration). I simply used a small wrench to tighten that little nut up snug against the shift lever again.

We have not had that problem occur since I made that adjustment, leading me to think that this simple step fixed what I thought might be an expensive transmission repair job. If I'm right, it might help someone else solve that problem as easily in the future.

Frank

Finally

You are the MAN!

Frank, I bought my boat used. Very used. While I've sailed for my whole life, this is my first Ericson. Fell in lust during the test sail. Anyway, my transmission started slipping, only when running ahead, oddly enough, sending my poor old Atomic 4 racing. I didn't find exactly what you described, but there was a connection that had some brighter threads showing.
I tightened it to what looked like the original position, with a bit of antiseizing goop, and voila!
Thanks for a great post, saving me a mechanic's visit and the attendant expense.:egrin:

stuartm80127

Member II
A4 slipping out of gear in fwd

This can be adjusted in the A4. Get the A4 manual from Moyer Marine and there is a minor adjustment that you can make . If you go one way then the engine shifts into forward with less force. The problem is that it bounces out of forward at about 2000 RPMs. I found that after replacing the 20 year old shifter cable(West Marine with much credit and help on finding the exact part) that shifting into forward was like a hot knife to butter.