• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

repowering an E-35-2 with outboard

questor

I recently acquired an E-35-2 and have been experiencing some problems with my engine. The undocumented engine hours are less than 500 on a 1999 Atomic 4 diesel. Should I be facing a large $$ cost for repair, I would appreciate any thoughts or comments regarding the possibility of re-powering using a 10 - 15 hp long shaft four stroke outboard mounted in a dry well in the transom under the stern seats. I formerly owned a Rhodes 28 (much like thePearson Triton/Ariel, 8000 lb displacement) that had a Yamaha 9.9 in the lazerette on the transom. A google general search revealed a 35' Alden owner who did this with positive results. I don't want to compromise estetics, but the large space in the cabin, the oil in the bilge, the loud noise below, and hassels with repair might justify a different direction.

Don't hold back...
Thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Two problems come to mind. Big seas will cause the motor to lift out of the water and the alternator on an outboard will not be sufficient to charge a decent deep cycle house battery.

Call Don Moyer at www.moyermarine.com. They are very nice folks who live and breathe A4s.

ChrisS

Member III
What kind of problems are you having with the A-4? These are simple engines and most problems stem from a lack of maintanance in the fuel or ignition systems, and (usually) can be fixed on your own. Moyer's website has a forum where you learn a bit. Unless your engine needs to be rebuilt, you can usually get it running pretty well for a modest investment.

I wouldn't think that an outboard on a 35 would do much more than get you out of the slip and marina, and through some flat water on a nice calm day...

Guy Stevens

Resale Value

The conversion would probably take at least $12,000 or more off of the value of the vessel when you go to sell it. Along with the fact that selling it after the change would be very difficult and probably add a year or more to the sale time.

What confuses most of us reading this is weather this is a universal diesel engine, or a Atomic 4 Gas engine. This would help in offering you advice.

All in all there really is nothing to recommend this as a project that I can think of. The cost of doing a correct outboard well, the cost of a new outboard, and the reduction in the value of the boat would seem to be contra indicators for doing this as a project.

The best option would be to install a new diesel, this would be the most costly idea, but would eliminate fumes, maintenance issues etc. It would also add to the value of the vessel while improving performance, usability and safety.

The second best option would be to repair or replace the existing A4 gasoline engine (assuming that it is an A4, and not a diesel already).

The third best option would be to hang an outboard bracket on the transom and use an outboard to power the boat.

The forth best option would be to skip using the engine, and moor in a place that you can sail on and off the mooring.

The fifth best option would be to significantly modify the stern area of the boat to include an outboard well.

Deposit $.02 now.

Guy
:)

Rhynie

Member III
Questor,
Just a long shot here, you indicate that you are having trouble with an Atomic 4 diesel; to the best of my knowledge there is no such animal. I'm just wondering if you put diesel in the A4 tank, that would be to source of your problem.

CaptDan

Member III
Questor,
Just a long shot here, you indicate that you are having trouble with an Atomic 4 diesel; to the best of my knowledge there is no such animal. I'm just wondering if you put diesel in the A4 tank, that would be to source of your problem.

Actually, there are three contradictory factors:

1. 1999
2. Atomic 4
3. Diesel

Gasolene powered A4s were discontinued around 1982. So if the date is correct, that eliminates numbers #1 and #2. In which case, the assumption (and you know what they say about those) is, it's a Universal Diesel. And, if it IS, and it's 10 years old with a mere 500 hours on the clock, one would have a decent shot at repairing most any problem it has.

Simply put, we need more info to offer anything resembling good advice. But, if you'll allow me a jaundiced opinion:

Mounting an outboard on the superbly drawn transom of an E35II is a terrible idea. Not only would it render an aesthetic crime on the boat's lines, it would do little to provide suitable auxillary power while negatively affecting handling and control. This is a vessel just shy of 6 tons; it requires an inboard engine. If the current motor is shot, rebuild it, replace it or forgetabout it and use oars when the wind dies.

YMMV.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

PDX

Member III
Sounds like his preference is to repair the engine first. The question on outboard repowering was prefaced with: "Should I be facing a large $$ cost for repair,"

I have noticed a smaller wooden boat (maybe it was a Rhodes 28?) with a well done outboard installation in a motor well just forward of the transom. It was covered. From a distance it looked like a lazarette hatch.

But all of the contra indicators posted here make great sense. And I don't know if I've ever seen a sailboat the size of an Ericson 35-2 where anyone has even attempted an outboard repower.

SASSY

Member II
Engine repaire

I am sailing North now and would be happy to take a look at your engine when we pass through.
Andy