• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Our 35-3 found with water over the sole :(

delwarne

Member II
On the hard , stern down, water has filled to half way up the length of the bildge cover.
Pumped out okay, varnish has whitened, a bit of scum and water to dry out.
No signs of any leaks forward of the water line on the sole.

Any ideas as to what to do next?
What I might Inspect?
What I might Expect as damage.
Help!

thank you,
Del and Myra

1987 E35-3
Obligatto

GMaurer

Member II
Me too

I had the exact same problem last winter. I didn't do a decent job covering the boat, and the stern was exposed to the NE, so I think water came in aft. With the yacht on a slope to stern, I think water ponded on the rear setee, leaked below, and then ended up covering part of the cabin sole.
At first, I was pretty sure that it was a ruptured drain line (in the E-28, there is a low point in the drain system below the thru-hull!), but I tested them before going back into the water and all was fine.
Lesson learned: do a better job this winter covering the boat, or pay to shrink-wrap it.

delwarne

Member II
Ah Hah!

I guess, with enough slope aft, water could build to the height of the flange under the helm setee, before ( rather than ) spilling into the cockpit sole.
So, did you seal off that area as well as cover better?
Thx, Del

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Was this water accumulated during the winter or in spring? During the winter and when the temperature rises to ~ 30F or so, we get alot of condensation in the bilge because the keel and adjoining fiberglass acts like a giant heat sump to condense water vapor into liquid. I have to pump my bilge a few times during the winter and early spring. Our 38 is covered with canvas and I leave the ports open to allow air circulation but the condensation still appears.
On another note: Do you go to the Bay much? We will be there June 27-28 for a FYC rendezvous.

HughHarv

Hugh
Could be from another source, like holes for fittings in the cockpit sole that can seep water, a rudder post port, fuel fitting, etc.? More water in cockpit, more water head, more pressure to bear on a seal, maybe?

Steve

Member III
Geometry?

Was the mast up or out? If in, suspect regular water down the mast accumulation. With the stern down the middle bilge pump was compromised, the water only passed by on the way to the stern were there is no pump. The problem may be more a matter of boat geometry. How's the water heater, starter, transmission etc... The transmission may have taken water down the fill dip-stick pressure relief hole if submerged.

Good Luck.

Steve E35-3 #159

Last edited: