• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Wheel Conversion

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I'm considering converting my E-27 from tiller to wheel steering. Has anyone has any experience with this kind of project?

Finally

oh boy.

You're letting yourself in on one heck of a debate. I considered it, briefly, on a day where I had guests bobbing up and down out of the cabin for the whole trip. They invariably seemed to want access when I really needed the helm. So, I went to the edlon site and got the plans and some pricing. I also crewed on a friend's boat, that has a wheel. It had plus-es. I liked the view from further aft, and easier access to the cabin. It definitely felt as if I had better visibility all the way around.
But.
One of the reasons I fell in love with my boat was the spectacular feel I got from the tiller, and with all that nimbleness, the instant control. That was lacking with the wheel. I found myself watching the horizon to be sure of my heading all of the time, instead of relying on the feel of the water on the rudder. I know it didn't, but it really felt as though there was a lag in response.
Long story short, I decided to keep the tiller and ask my guests to wait a moment or two. However, there are some past threads that help to answer your question.
Good luck with it, either way!