• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Portlight Hazing

Gary Freeburg

Member II
My small oval portlights, especially the forward port side, are hazed over to the point of translucency. I know there are several products out there to clean, clear and restore them back to transparency. Any recommendations from those who have had success with this?

Thanks,

Gary Freeburg
E 27 Katmai

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I use plexus on my windows but its effectiveness will be determined by what's happening with the polycarbonate. If a vinyl gasket was used, it will craze, irretrievably. It can only take rubber gaskets. You will have to replace the lens with glass if vinyl is used.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Novus

http://www.novuspolish.com/

I use Novus #2 on my hazed ports and hatch lenses, and then follow up with Plexus.
This lasts about 6 months at a time.

You might want to start out with the least abrasive Novus #1, and see how it looks.

Loren

Shadowfax

Member III
Loren,

Will Novus work on sun damaged hatches? The clip on the web site sounded that they where better at scratches. I don't know what the sun damage is, but is it scratches?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,

Will Novus work on sun damaged hatches? The clip on the web site sounded that they where better at scratches. I don't know what the sun damage is, but is it scratches?

Hmmm, well, it's not going to fill in a scratch, and completely buffing deep enough to remove the scratch would take some time and cotton cloth and elbow grease. I guess the answer is something like "it depends."
It does remove some of the surface layer with the UV damage and light abrasions/haze.

Perhaps the best plan is to try it one hatch or port lens and see how you like the result.

Best,
Loren

TRMN8R

Member II
http://www.novuspolish.com/

I use Novus #2 on my hazed ports and hatch lenses, and then follow up with Plexus.
This lasts about 6 months at a time.

You might want to start out with the least abrasive Novus #1, and see how it looks.

Loren
Been using this stuff for YEARS on windscreens for my motorcycles; its the best. Agreed, start off with #1 and use liberally. Let us know if you do and what results you get..............reminds me, mine need to be done too!:egrin: