• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ventura or Channel Islands Harbor?

ChrisS

Member III
I'm going to be dropping off crew in Santa Barbara on July 4th, and I just spoke with harbor officials there who said they don't take reservations and that they fill up quickly a day or two before the 4th. My options are anchoring outside the breakwater, or heading Ventura or Oxnard. Of the these two marinas, which would be the best to clean up and re-provision? Also, what might anchoring outside the harbor in SB like in the summer? On the 4th?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Choosing a marina for convenience.

Chris, The Channel Islands Marina (Oxnard) has a West Marine, grocery store and other businesses within about the equivalent of two to four blocks from the transient slips. Smart money would pull a collapsable shopping cart along behind. There's also a liquor/7-11 type store and good restaurants a two to three minute walk from those same slips. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

ref_123

Member III
SBYC and SBSC

Hi Chris,

check with 2 more bodies: SBYC may have a slip for a reciprocal (never knew how to spell) member, and Santa Barbara Sailing Center may let you stop over for a part of the day. There is also a public launching ramp but space there is never guaranteed - it's "first come first served".

Regards,
Stan

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Either or

Chris,

Ventura or Channel Islands both are pretty good spots to stop at. As Glynn said, WM & supermarket are closer to you at C.I. On the other hand, perhaps more restaurants & nightlife in Ventura, though we have some decent spots for fish & grog in C.I, too.

Flip a coin!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I used to love to go to "Pirates, Grub & Grog" when it was on the water. Good prime rib and live music and I could just tie up in front of the restaurant. It's been years since I have been to Channel Islands and as I recall "Pirates" moved way up Victoria, on Harbor Blvd. now. The only place I know of in San Pedro where you can tie up and have a meal is the Chowder Barge way back in Leeward Bay. I miss Channel Islands as a home port.

I have stayed at the transient slips in Channel Islands, very nice.

http://www.channelislandsharbor.org/

Here's the Guest Slips Link: http://www.channelislandsharbor.org/Page.cfm?pk_page_id=17

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Coin Flipped

Thanks for the responses--we decided on Channel Islands. (As planned) this will be our first stop since Morro Bay and Santa Cruz Islands, and I think a hot shower, cold drink, and flat water sleep will feel as good here as anywhere. I'll check out Ventura and Santa Barabara on the return north at the end of July.
Thanks again!