• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Name this part - my Universal M-25XP

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Those Racor filter systems seem like extreme overkill for the small diesel engines most of our boats have. The amount of oil that is going to be collected is so small, it wouldn't be worth the effort to engineer a return line. I would just attach some sort of collection bottle that could be easily emptied; and even then, you'll probably never find anything in it with the huge filter element in those things.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Dustin,

Loren's solution looks like it would work fine. I have planned to get a common brass pipe fitting, just like the one exiting the valve cover. The drill & fit that to either the underside or the top of the air filter. That way the hose can attach in a more positive manner & not possibly flop away from there.

This hasn't made it to the top of my list yet, but maybe this thread will inspire me!

P.S. I like to keep the nut which secures the air filter to the fuel injector air intake somewhat loose. That way if there is ever the dreaded but unlikely "runaway diesel syndrome," I can easily pull off the air filter & put something solid over the air intake to stop the engine. Anything would do like a small board, the bottom of a small toolbox, mom's finest pillow (NOT)!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That's the same plan I had. But I haven't figured out how to get the air filter housing off the engine to drill the hole; there is only 1/2" clearance between the filter and the side of the engine compartment and it is not enough to be able to pull the filter housing off. I wanted to try the K&N motorcycle filter but haven't figured out how to attach that either; it would require a 90 degree elbow fitting and I don't think there is room for it.