• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: E27 steering wheel/pedestal

runnyknose

The E27 I recently bought had the helm removed ..... any ideas on where to find a replacement?

Does the 27 have a unique helm or are there others that will work?

Is the "Cruising Edition" a little rare? :confused:

CaptDan

Member III
The E27 I recently bought had the helm removed ..... any ideas on where to find a replacement?

Does the 27 have a unique helm or are there others that will work?

Is the "Cruising Edition" a little rare? :confused:

Far as I know, all Ericsons of that vintage featured the long gone Yacht Specialties helm. So your choices are these:

1. Locate a used Yacht Specialties helm with 24-27" wheel. If you only find the helm, you can buy a new wheel. Which gets us to option #2...............

2. Install a new Edson helm. I believe the Edson wheels are incompatible with the defunct Yacht Specialties, so either way, expect some machine work to be done if you locate one and not the other.

3. Forget the wheel and stay with tiller. Downside: takes up more cockpit space. Upside, you'll save quite a lot of time and money. The helm is only one part of the project; you'll need chain (bicycle chain will work), stainless tiller 'rope,' throttle and shift cables as well. Then there's the fun of the install, which you can't undertake until you ensure the old sheaves (if still present) are in serviceable shape.

Places like Minney's Yacht Surplus in Newport Beach are good places to scavange for old Yacht Specialties gear. If memory serves, our good friend Glyn Judson said there was one available several months ago.

Minneys: 949-548-4192

PS: I'm unfamiliar with the term 'Cruising Edition' with regard to E27s.

Good luck.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Dan,
I believe that he has the later split cockpit version of that boat. Designed for a wheel, to market to a "different" market segment in the late 70's.
I have not been aboard one of those for a long time and just cannot remember where/how the rudderhead is accessed in the cockpit.
A tiller would be best, if it works out.
I also seem to sorta remember that the YS steering pedistal was quite short, and mounted on top of the cockpit dividing partition (like the E-35-2), and this would probably cost a lot new from Edson.

Tillers sometimes take up more room when sailing, but less (!) when partying.
:cool:

LB

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Dan,
I believe that he has the later split cockpit version of that boat. Designed for a wheel, to market to "different" market segment in the late 70's.
I have not been aboard one of those for a long time and just cannot remember where/how the rudderhead is accessed in the cockpit.
A tiller would be best, if it works out.

Tillers sometimes take up more room when sailing, but less (!) when partying.
:cool:

LB

So it's a 'T' cockpit where the binnacle sits atop the thwart, like the E35II?

I've never seen one of those variants so I can't be sure. But I'd guess that if it's like the E35II, the binnacle is mounted atop the aft thwart, and the rudder head is located forward on the cockpit sole - where the emergency tiller (or the current steering stick) is bolted on.

If that's the case, is there a big honkin' hole on the thwart where the binnacle used to be? If so, the wheel chain drive is lead to a sheave on the rudder post via 7x19 stainless wire and through two other sheaves mounted athwartships inboard of the stern quarter sections.

Not exactly a picnic rethreading one of those systems.:confused:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

runnyknose

E27 Cruising edition

Thanks for the suggestions. Attached are a three photos of the "Cruising edition" ..... it has a divided cockpit and uses a short "emergency" tiller which attaches behind the removable panel on the forward side of the partition. The pedestal was mounted on the top of the partition sometime in the past. The other difference is an additional topside hatch. The forward one is above the head and the other above the table.

Attachments

• DSCF1397.jpg
    DSCF1397.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF1394.jpg
    DSCF1394.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF1350.jpg
    DSCF1350.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 85

CaptDan

Member III
Thanks for the suggestions. Attached are a three photos of the "Cruising edition" ..... it has a divided cockpit and uses a short "emergency" tiller which attaches behind the removable panel on the forward side of the partition. The pedestal was mounted on the top of the partition sometime in the past. The other difference is an additional topside hatch. The forward one is above the head and the other above the table.

Okay, that's very similar to what I imagined. Now the problem:

You're going to need a 'shorty' binnacle - one approximately 1/2 the height of the standard cockpit-sole mounted units. Unfortunately that limits your choices even more.

I don't know if Edson makes one in those dimensions, but I'd think a taller version could be machined/modified to fit. But, perhaps, a Y.S. 'shorty' is out there someplace.

You might want to check Edson's website: www. edson.com

Good luck.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

MMLOGAN

Member III
Y.S. Ped and Wheel

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]runnyknose,

I was in the sailboat junkyard today (Long Beach, CA). They have a YS ped and wheel with an ST 3000 for $650. All of the under deck parts where still attached. Dan is the gentlemen that runs the place. You can get the dimensions from him if you are still in need. 310-795-8978

Matt
E35-3
Wind Chaser
[/FONT]

tyrguy

Member II
Hi Neighbor

We have an E29 with the same design. We will have our boat in Newport on the 9Th of August if you want you can use it for any questions you might have on the design.
I meet you on the dock a couple of weeks ago we have the Catalina 25 thats for sale next to you.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Junk yard

RunnyKnose,

I called Dan this morning prior to running by there to take a pic and he has sold the unit.

I hope you found what you needed.

Sorry I did not get there in time.

Cheers,

Matt
WindChaser E35-3

seanflinn

Inactive Member
pedestal steering

I have recently removed the helm steering on my e 35 2
it is in great condition... it has a nice binnacle mounted compass and a 30" s.s. wheel if you or anyone else is still looking for one, I have the complete package... shift /throttle handles/wheel/pedestal /quadrant/ cables/conduit.
310 999 4937 seanflinn500@yahoo.com

runnyknose

Thanks everyone ...

Thank you all for your help ..... I bought the unit that Dan (see above) had in Long Beach. It was complete with chain, sheaves, compass, cables, wheel, quadrant, and an old Autohelm 3000.

Now comes the challenge of installing the beast. First had to cut it down 15" since the cockpit has an athwardship partition .... see photos of my cockpit above .....

FYI I have close to $1000 in it so far ..... $650 for the equipment, $150 to get it packaged and shipped from Long Beach to Newport, OR via FedEx .... $75 to get the pedestal shortened ..... and $75 for hardware and paint .....

The main installation problem is aligning the sheaves .... and the small compartment makes matters worse ....

Does anyone have photos of their sheave positions? I'll also post this on the Maintenance thread.

Thanks again ..... Ron

Attachments

• DSCF1548.jpg
    DSCF1548.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF1543.jpg
    DSCF1543.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 88