• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shopping For A new Prop

gulfcoaster

Member III
Hey folks! We have had our E32-3 for nine years. We changed our :nerd:oops:riginal prop from the standard fixed 2-blade to a fixed 3 blade (15x9). We are attempting to race now and we were advised that going to a fixed 2 blade (keeping it vertical) or a feathering or folding prop would increase our speed. We would like good motoring and adequate reverse to back into our slip. I didn't keep the original so I don't know what the specs were. I have a simple question. If we go for the fixed 2-blade. How much speed would we gain? I realize a clean bottom and other variables come in to play as well. Any "expert" feedback would be appreciated.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Not much. I have a FlexOFold and love it for both motoring and sailing performance. Better than original 2 blade fixed in every way.

Shadowfax

Member III
WE have a 3 blade Martec feathering prop on our 34. No comparison to a 2 blade fixed in all categories. No even close.

windjunkee

Member III
Gulf,

When I was shopping for a new prop, I discovered that there is quite a bit of drag from the prop, especially in light air where the drag is more pronounced. We have a fixed 2 blade prop with no reasonable means of setting it vertical when the engine is off.

I bought a Gori folding prop which spec'd to fit my boat, but it turns out the distance from the shaft to the leading edge of the rudder was too small and the prop blades would hit the rudder as they opened. Maybe the design of the mark III is different in that regard. I went with Gori over Martec because of the gearing involved. The blades open and close simultaneously on a gear system for better sailing and backing performance.

My next choice was the MaxProp feathering, which backs like a dream but is pretty pricey. I'd say we gain at least 1/3 of a knot in winds between 4 and 8 over the fixed 2 blade, but that is my opinion.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32-2 Hull # 134
Redondo Beach, CA

gulfcoaster

Member III
Windjunkie. Thanks for the feedback. I believe you can set your prop vertical in the water or during haul out. Mark the shaft with a sharpie and you'll always be able to positiuon it vertically. Just a thought!

windjunkee

Member III
Gulf,
That's a good thought. Unfortunately, we have a large "golf cart" type battery for the inverter that sits on a glassed-in shelf aft of the engine. Even if I could crawl over the engine to reach the shaft, I couldn't see it to even find the marking and spin the shaft by hand. It is an access issue. <shrug>

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull Number 134
Redondo Beach, CA

EGregerson

Member III
golf cart battery

windjunkie; it sounds like you might have difficulty aligning the prop shaft; and adjusting the stuffing box.