• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Foot pump installation in galley help please

trlebus

I have "73 Ericson 35 MKII and would like to install a foot pump to the galley sink. If anyone hase done this and has suggestions / hot tips and pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

trl

Dagny T
Hull 305

ref_123

Member III
E32-3 came with those installed

Hi Dagny,

I can take pictures on Friday, but it's pretty straightforward. The only big issue to me would be to cut a rectangular hole in the woodwork under the sink - size depends on the pump model. In our case, foot pump intake is T-ed into the same line that feeds the electric pump, and the pump output goes into the small cock mounted next to the faucet over the kitchen sink. We have one for the salt water too - pretty convinient, but takes a through-hull.

Regards,
Stan

jkm

Member III
I would be careful because that location is tenuous at best. What about a deck mounted pump?

I thought of installing a foot pump years ago, but felt that I'd be stubbing my toes constantly. Opted for a new electric model.

John

trlebus

Hi Dagny,

I can take pictures on Friday, but it's pretty straightforward. The only big issue to me would be to cut a rectangular hole in the woodwork under the sink - size depends on the pump model. In our case, foot pump intake is T-ed into the same line that feeds the electric pump, and the pump output goes into the small cock mounted next to the faucet over the kitchen sink. We have one for the salt water too - pretty convinient, but takes a through-hull.

Regards,
Stan

Thanks for the response Stan...yes the big issue is cutting the fiberglass toe kick under the sink which is easy, it's the best placement that's giving me pause. Some pictures would be a big help.

Thanks!
trl

trlebus

I would be careful because that location is tenuous at best. What about a deck mounted pump?

I thought of installing a foot pump years ago, but felt that I'd be stubbing my toes constantly. Opted for a new electric model.

John

John:
The toe-stubbing issue is a major issue, and I'm trying to find the least intrusive install. If it sticks out too far I might have to make some kind of a hingeable cover plate or whatever.

We already have an electric pump which has had a few issues which is why we want the manual as a backup.

Thanks!
trl

treilley

Sustaining Partner
What about fabricating a box into the recess that you put your foot in to actuate the pump lever. This will eliminate the toe stubbing problem and also utilize your space under the sink better(if you have enough for this)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have two foot pumps on my boat. They are mounted just high enough that your toes are underneath them when at the sink. They have never been in the way and I often forget they are there..... RT

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I installed a foot pump on my E27. I like it better than a hand pump, hands free use. It looks like the E35 II's sink is next to the stair, that is the same as the E27 (although switched port and starboard). My foot pump lever is close to the companionway stair and I have never had an issue with toe stubbing.

Here's a photo without the stair in place but you can get the idea.

Attachments

• DSCN3561.jpg
    DSCN3561.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 197

Mindscape

Member III
Havn't had a problem yet...

The 32-3 came with 2 foot pumps from the factory and I've never had an issue with those on Mindscape. No stubbed toes etc. I'd highly recomend foot pumps, they are easy to use and keep your hands free.

Of course now that I've said I've had no problems I'll probably whack my toe on one of them this wk'end:egrin:

ref_123

Member III
Prmised pictures

Never mind the woodwork - I know it needs TLC :).

There is little chance to stab my toes with this setup - pedals are too high. They are also used by our 4-year old to get to the faucet - something that I discourage but discouragement does not work too well.

Regards,
Stan

Attachments

• DSCF1133.JPG
    DSCF1133.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1134.JPG
    DSCF1134.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1135.JPG
    DSCF1135.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF1136.JPG
    DSCF1136.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF1138.JPG
    DSCF1138.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 111

trlebus

abricating a box into the recess

What about fabricating a box into the recess that you put your foot in to actuate the pump lever. This will eliminate the toe stubbing problem and also utilize your space under the sink better(if you have enough for this)

Tim:

You just might have something there. Thanks a bunch. I will ponder this one alot before I take a sawzall to the toekick.

trl

trlebus

There is little chance to stab my toes with this setup - pedals are too high. They are also used by our 4-year old to get to the faucet - something that I discourage but discouragement does not work too well.

Regards,
Stan

Thank you Stan...BIGTIME...this helps alot. The sole on the MK II is about 3 inches or so lower which makes a taller toekick, so I will have to come up with my own tweak. The visuals are a major help.

And THANK YOU to the group for the great response. I will be starting this project next week and will post the before and afters.

trl
Dagny T
Hull 305

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
One on left...?

Regards,
Stan
Pump for fresh water on left , called right sided pump? They sell right & left. I need fresh water one on the left...