• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 main sheet question

runnyknose

Greetings .... this is my first post .... please be gentle ....

Bought a '76 E27 last weekend in Newport, OR ..... it has the split cockpit (but the wheel has been removed) with the main traveler mounted on the cockpit divider. So the block will be at the end of the boom. One of the many challenges is replacing the missing main sheet blocks and the main sheet. Any suggestions on the size of the fiddle blocks and how long should I make the main sheet?

Thanks in advance ..... :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson family

http://www.harkencompuspec.com/

Harken builds great products, with a lot of R&D backup. You may shop around for other less expensive blocks, but Harken is considered "the best" by many of us for good reason.

Admittedly, I have a mixture of Harken and Garhauer hardware (with very few Lewmar blocks remaining from the Ericson installs), but I always respect the great warranty help I once received from Harken compared to the brushoff I once got from Lewmar.

So first, plug in your boat info and use the HarkenCompuspec application to get started.

As to this being you "first post" -- make it the first of many! There is so much E-27 info around this site that you will spend some hours just refining your search criteria. I would imagine that some of the very active sistership owners here will be checking in to provide site links for you, too.

If you have some pics of the present mainsheet setup, post 'em up.

Regards,
Loren
:egrin:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Check specs on the documents section of this site for running rigging for the 27. You might be able to size the blocks by the diameter of the main sheet specified by Ericson. Garhauer blocks are nice and less expensive than Harken.

Ian S

Member III
Yup! Harken nuff said! I had a hot E 27 new everything. Replaced it with a very late model 32' here are the blocks I think you are looking for harken#'s 038 and 028 fiddle and fiddle with hexaratchet, cam and becket. 4-1 purchase is plenty but only with good hardware. you should have end boom sheeting if your boat is in fact a T cockpit model, they made three versions of this hull. If you have the ambition replace the traveler with a new harken unit you will find it was well worth the time and money. the original unit was pretty junky. The thing I miss the most about my 27 was that you could helm the boat and be the main trimmer it was like a skiff on steroids. my new boat requires you go forward and grind a winch to control the main, major bummer. I am good friends with the new owner and would be happy to send you any pics you may want. I dropped about 25K into this boat prior to selling it so it has every conceiveable bell and whistle. If there is a project you're contemplating I've probably done it. Have fun and good luck! It's really one of the best day sailers ever built.
Capt. Ian (westshorerigging.com)