• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bay info wanted

makai

I will be leaving Urbanna, VA in about 2 weeks bringing my newly purchased 1971 E-29 home to Georgia. I have never transited the ICW in VA and NC--
1) How far is Urbanna to Norfolk? Can it be made in 1 day?
2) Any pitfalls entering the ICW at Norfolk?
Any other info would be appreciated
thanks
Mike

EGregerson

Member III
icw

i purchased an e28 in St Simons GA in 2000 and brot it to the Potomac river; your adventure has begun. you're traveling at the outset of hurricane season; watch the weather; all the time; storms are worse these days; not just hurricanes but tornadic cells; thunder etc. Buy a chart book of the icw and guide book; study them carefully; there are long stretches where anchorage is not convenient. Make sure the boat is ready; batteries good; fuel clean and new fuel filters (often boats for sale sit a long time and the fuel spoils; you take it out and an hour later you're dead in the water); it's about 600 miles from norfolk to GA; take your time. From urbanna you might get to Norfolk the 1st day; it's about 60 miles;if not stay in the Perrin river or Poquoson off the York river. there are places to anchor in Norfolk; the only pitfalls are the several rail bridges you have to go under; you will pass by several aircraft carriers; too close and they will use lethal force; make sure you have a hand held vhf; the cruising guide will tell which channels the bridges monitor; it varies by state; be polite to bridge captains; they can make or break your day. then decide whether you want the dismal swamp (oldest operating locks in the country and free dockage at the dismal state park; free slips at elizabeth city))or the carolina cut; the run across the albermarle sound down the alligator is a long one to anchorage; however there is a marina near the alligator bridge. there is no tide in the albemarle sound. The icw below the Morehead city has the shoaling; pay close attention to the charts and temporary markers and your depth sounder; the rock pile north of myrtle beach is hard bottom; stay in the middle. take bug spray; take a camera; it's incredible; the experience of a lifetime. Enjoy.:)

Last edited: