• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat has early Lewmar self tailing winches (1988) and I am re-lubing them now. The manual indicates that the center shaft should be removed by pulling it straight up and out for cleaning and re-greasing. That shaft can rise, on ours, only until the gear teeth come in contact with the narrower upper part of the main winch casting. :confused:
The shaft can still be wiped off and new grease wiped on, but I feel like I am missing something in the instructions, somehow.

Both sets of internal gears come out OK. It just seems like the whole winch base casting must be removed from the boat in order to let that shaft drop downward and out, if shaft removal is desired.

The winch will be 94% better even with this assembly question unresolved, but I am curious...

Per the schematic, all of our winches are designed/constructed in the same fashion. We have Lewmar 30ST, 43ST, and 46ST winches. All still have relatively clean grease in them and the pawls work, but the grease is getting too viscous due to several years of age, and there is noticeable resistance to turning the drums.

Thanks,
Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, on my previous boat some of the Lewmar winches had to be removed to fully service.

I don't remember model numbers nor do I have my Lewmar winch book at home.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My cabin top halyard winches were difficult to get the shafts out of. (Lewmars) I think they may be slightly undersized and got slightly distorted. I was able to get the shafts out and cleaned and reinstalled and all works fine, but the shaft install and removal was a bitch.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Slow progress

My cabin top halyard winches were difficult to get the shafts out of. (Lewmars) I think they may be slightly undersized and got slightly distorted. I was able to get the shafts out and cleaned and reinstalled and all works fine, but the shaft install and removal was a bitch.

Our housetop winches are ST30 Lewmars, and today I got the second one done.
I really gave that center shaft a good effort, but it refused to come up 'n' out. At this point I am 0 for 2 on that part of the disassembly.

OTOH by repeatedly raising the center spindle shaft up and cleaning it I got it quite shiny -- and finally wiped on some new winch grease and eased it back down with a twisting motion and most of the new grease stayed in. That's about as good as its gonna get.

Interesting that even after getting that old congealed grease out and putting them back together, they do turn noticeably easier, but not nearly as nicely as the older Barients on my friend's '86 E32-3 that he just re-lubed. Them Barients be mighty good winches, sez I.

Ah well, we all do what we can, and in the end just hope that it's enough...
:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Loren - I'm just back from the lake. My 1982 Lewmar book has the 30ST, but not the other two winches. Included are 40, 42, 48, 55, 65, all ST. Also lots of non self tailing models, including Haliard [sic] winches.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Lewmar 16ST,30ST 3.pdf
    179.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Lewmar 40ST - 65ST 1.pdf
    268.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Lewmar 40ST - 65ST 2.pdf
    206.6 KB · Views: 290

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Tom, but by the late 80's Lewmar had changed the top assembly to a nylon cap held on by four screws. Interesting thing, once you lift off the striper and the ST top is that underneath, you find the same drum casting for the top of a non-ST winch, with all the usual "Lewmar 30" info cast in.

To my untrained eye, what they did was to make the center spindle shaft taller to hold the added ST pieces on top.
This tends to ratify the other observation from Ted that under heavy load the shaft distorts a little bit.

Someday, if we keep the boat long enough, the way to find out would be to take those shafts in to a machine shop during the winter and carefully mic them and see if they are bent a couple of thousands..... and then gently restore true-ness to them with a hydraulic press.

Oh yeah, one other minor trivia note -- the top of each Lewmar winch cap has the Ericson emblem screened onto it!

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

Last edited: