• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chesapeake Bay, Kent Narrows

Shadowfax

Member III
I tried to post this yesterday, but did not see it on the board, so perhaps I did something wrong. I'll try again

Has anyone been through Kent Narrows this year, or heard from anyone who has? Someone tried to get into Queenstown and said it shoaled, so I was wondering if Kent Narrows did also. I'd hate to find out the hard way on a holiday weekend.

Thanks

Shadowfax

Member III
Ted,

I went into Queenstown at low tide Sunday. One of the green marks is missing, the second one going in. The channel has shifted slightly to the south but is very passable.

I didn't go through the Narrows myself but spoke with a friend that did and they had no problem, so I guess all is well.

Shadowfax

Member III
One of my favorite spots. Take your time going in and watch the depth meter. Try to go in with the tide up a bit.

John Butler

Member II
We're heading out for 5 or 6 days beginning Sunday or Monday (might race the Lightning on Sunday) and one place we're considering is the Chester River. I've only been in the Chester R. once before and we only went to the Corsica R. (beautiful). What's at Queenstown? I thought about going all the way up to Chestertown and back over about 5 days R/T from Annapolis. Any suggestions on where to go or not go?
Thanks,
John

Shadowfax

Member III
After you have passed the Narrows heading up the Chester you will find Queenstown on you right about 3 miles or so past the Narrows. Queenstown harbor is to the right as you clear the channel, you want to go to the left and go in a bit. Queenstown is quiet, looks a bit like a small New England town. Holding here and in most places in the Cheater is good to very good.

About another 3 miles or so up the river is Gray's Inn Creek on your left. This too is very quiet mostly due to the sewage treatment plant further up the creek, but unless you are planning on a swim, that is not a reason to go in.

Another mile or so up the river is Reed Creek on the right. Pay attention to the marks going in and then head off to the right after you get in and head up the creek. Classic Easter Shore anchorage. Nothing there.

Back in the river and another mile or two you come to the entrance to Landford creek on your left and the Corsica on your right. You've been to the Corsica, so you know what that is like. Cacaway island in Landford is a favorite, as is Lovely Cove further up the creek, you could spend half a summer in Langford Creek alone, with all the anchorages available. There are two branches to Langford Creek start with the one on the right going in. You will probably see bald eagles here, it's like that.

After passing Langford and the Corsica, the creeks sort of get shallow, but the river is still 40 foot deep. You can anchor along the river depending on how the wind is blowing, but for most people the next stop is Chestertown. Chestertown is simply beautiful, with the second largest number of colonial buildings in Maryland, the first being Annapolis. Lots to do in Chestertown, you can anchor in the river or there are a couple of marinas. Many good restaurants and shops. It is a college town. Big Memorial Day and 4th of July doings. Depending on tide and current it would take about 5 hours to get from the Narrows to Chestertown under power.

The Chester is my back yard so if you need more detail let me know.

BTW you say you race Lightings. The Rock Hall YC, located on Langford, has a very active Lighting program and host Nationals there, along with log canoe races.

Have fun, you'll love the Chester

wheelerwbrian

Member III
We ran aground within in the northern channel at midtide just after the R4 marker Memorial Day weekend, headed in to catch the bridge opening. I think the edge of my wing keel caught it as we were able to back off easily, so it didn't bury itself, but we came to a halt. Stick to the middle or north side of the channel between R4 and R6. We had no problem coming out a few days later at around the same time, same tide. I know others who have had the same experience.

John Butler

Member II
Thanks for your input, Paul. We'll steer clear of Kent Narrows, coming into the Chester R. around Love Pt. It sounds like we should try to make Queenstown one of our stops.
John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
IMHO Chestertown is nice but its a long motor up the river to get to and the current regularly opposes the wind in the anchorage. If I went again I would stay at a marina as I was not fond of the anchorage. Perhaps using 2 anchors would be a better approach with the current.