• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat cushions on E28+

Rob H

I just purchased a 1983 E28+. First boat. The interior cushions are quite worn down and should be replaced. Any suggestions? Is there somewhere I can find the exact dimensions of the cushions, which I assume would make it easier to order new ones? Any advice as to how to go about replacing the cushions (from both a quality and value standpoint)? How about cockpit cushions? The boat does not have any, but any suggestions on how to best go about obtaining them would be appreciated. Thanks!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If you are replacing interior cushions, seriously consider using a much firmer foam than was originally used. Maybe it's just the age of the cushions in my boat, but they go almost completely flat when you sit or lie on them. Very uncomfortable after a few minutes or when trying to sleep on them. I have ended up putting the Bottom Siders cockpit cushions (about 1 1/2" of closed-cell foam) under the starboard setee and quater berth cushions to make them bearable.

Search for Bottom Siders on the web. They make nice cockpit cushions and will put the name of your boat on them.

SurabyaKid

Member III
I used a local fabric shop and thier staff. They used the old cushions to figure out dimensions and costs.

Bottomsiders.com as cockpit cushions...they look like good quality, but seem to be expensive.

Pat
E26->"Pronto"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
New foam should be about 2.6 density. Most original factory foam, no matter who, used to be about 1.8 -- it seemed comfy when new, i.e. was "so nice and soft" but went flat in about 3 or 4 years.

Boat cushions are indeed a bit labor intensive. I have seen some good ones built, for a reasonable price, by a guy that normally specialized in custom car upholstery. ( He was already used to dealing with everything being un-square and the top pattern being different than the bottom piece pattern! )
:nerd:

Good luck,

Loren

tilwinter

Member III
Interior cushions

JSI did the cushions for my friend's Hylas 44, and he was happy with the quality and the price. They are "mail order", as it were, and have a system for working at a distance.

I spoke to them at the Annapolis boat show last fall, and they are very easy to deal with. They may actually have patterns for your boat, or you can make patterns for them.

I was only looking at new covers for the existing cushions, so I don't know about the foam options they offer.