Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fellow Ericson 32-2 owners?

Blog Entries
    By "friending" I hope you don't mean Facebook.

This site is the gene pool of Ericsons. It doesn't help to dilute it.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    By "friending" I hope you don't mean Facebook.

This site is the gene pool of Ericsons. It doesn't help to dilute it.

How TRUE!! ...Never have been - NEVER WILL be a member of "FarceBook"!!!

Not sure how this whole thing works but just friended a couple E32 owners with the hopes of unique contacts with them in the future on projects others might no be as interested in.

The “friending” he’s referring to is the friend feature of this message board, not of Facebook.

Hello, friend. I’m happy to be any Ericson owner’s friend, but I don’t think there are many benefits with this kind of friendship.
    1969 Ericson 32 #112 • Atomic Four
    City Island, NYC
    “Muxie Duxer”
    Hair by Mr. Gigi

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by tenders View Post
    The “friending” he’s referring to is the friend feature of this message board, not of Facebook.

Hello, friend. I’m happy to be any Ericson owner’s friend, but I don’t think there are many benefits with this kind of friendship.

Correct! ...I don't do farcebook. What I just have done with a few of you is used the included option on this Ericson site. ...THAT I trust! ;-)

I think (hope) it's just a means for us to communicate between each other on issues relevant to our similar vessels (??) ...Still new at some of this myself.
    Last edited by kapnkd; 03-19-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Smile Hello From Port Washington, NY

Hello Folks,

This will be my 3rd season with Khuma, an 1972 E32. She is my first boat, i inherited her from a friend of mine when he had to move to CA on short notice.

I love my boat and love sailing but i am little overwhelmed by amount of work i have to do, and sick and tired of getting ripped off by the whole marine industry. I am a pretty handy guy but i lack experince on boats. So i would appreciate any advice on repair and maintenance.

She is seaworthy but needs some love and care. First big project i is rewiring the whole boat. Right now it is a big mess, bunch of splices, electrical tape, twist connectors, coroded wires. Does anybody have the original wiring diagram? Any tips on routing the cables? Anything else that i should consider?

Thank you very much and nice meeting you all.
    Last edited by bozturk; 06-05-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard.

You might glance at my blog, which records many typical boat rehab jobs.

Index here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...helonious-Blog

For example,

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...Reorganization
    A Novice's Guide to Panel Reorganization--Part 1

Any specific question you can come up with usually gets full attention of the experts.
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 06-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Quote Originally Posted by bozturk View Post
    Hello Folks,

This will be my 3rd season with Khuma, an 1972 E32. She is my first boat, i inherited her from a friend of mine when he had to move to CA on short notice.

I love my boat and love sailing but i am little overwhelmed by amount of work i have to do, and sick and tired of getting ripped off by the whole marine industry. I am a pretty handy guy but i lack experince on boats. So i would appreciate any advice on repair and maintenance.

She is seaworthy but needs some love and care. First big project i is rewiring the whole boat. Right now it is a big mess, bunch of splices, electrical tape, twist connectors, coroded wires. Does anybody have the original wiring diagram? Any tips on routing the cables? Anything else that i should consider?

Good Morning,

Ours is a '73 E32-2 and I DO have an owners manual I obtained some years after buying the boat with lots of goodies/info in it.

As a starter for you, here's 3 pages of electrical layout drawings. We've been completely rewiring our boat and I'll post a couple of photos of what we're doing later for your reference as well. Got some running to do at the moment....

-kerry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electric 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	24452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electric 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	24453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electric 3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	24454

Hello friend.

My ‘69 32 is on City Island, still in the cradle through this weekend, if you’d like to come by and have a look around and chat. I’ve owned her since 1991 (not nearly as long as Kerry has owned his!) and have done substantial structural work, most documented here. The 49-year-old boat is no showpiece but it is structurally solid, sails as well as it did when she was new, and every single thing works. I have a natural aversion to complexity and the associated maintenance so I do not have a speed wheel throughhull, masthead electrical wind speed indicator, radar, chartplotter, air conditioning, watermaker, anchor windlass, or generator. I do have DC refrigeration, pressure water, a large inverter, a large alternator on the Atomic Four, and a 110V water heater that gets lovingly winterized every fall that but hasn’t been used in years.

On the electrical side, you can see from Kerry’s diagram that the factory configuration ran wires directly under the mast step. This was a poor design decision and over time it led to the disconnection of my port side cabin lights. I found it necessary and preferable to run parallel cabin light wiring up the port side via the engine compartment. This rare poor design has really been my only gripe with the electrical systems on the boat. What exists now is not the picture-perfect meticulous looming that newer boats have, but it is compulsively labeled and, I think, understandable to anyone motivated enough to figure out what is going on.

After running that extra cabin light wire, and some other stuff for the bilge pump and float switch and a stern-mounted VHF antenna, the channel running from the engine room up to the port side cupboard where the VHF and bilge pump switch are located was stuffed full of wires. In recent weeks while adding an AIS receiver and associated doodads I discovered how useful it is to run wires in the overhead, from the starboard side cupboard, forward and around the sliding hatch channel, and back to the port side cupboard. That path now carries wiring to power any port side instruments, a coax VHF cable split from the main (port) VHF for the starboard AIS receiver, another coax cable split from the port VHF for the starboard FM radio, and an NMEA data cable delivering GPS to the port VHF. Getting access to this cable path required removing the frame trim under the main salon hatch, which I had replaced a year ago without reinstalling the trim.

Just some ideas as you’re rewiring. Here’s my suggestion though: what is causing you to spend the time rewiring the whole boat instead of just replacing wires you find objectionable?
    Last edited by tenders; 06-06-2018 at 05:46 AM.
    1969 Ericson 32 #112 • Atomic Four
    City Island, NYC
    “Muxie Duxer”
    Hair by Mr. Gigi

Quote Originally Posted by tenders View Post
    Hello friend.

My ‘69 32 is on City Island, still in the cradle through this weekend, if you’d like to come by and have a look around and chat. I’ve owned her since 1991 (not nearly as long as Kerry has owned his!) and have done substantial structural work, most documented here. The 49-year-old boat is no showpiece but it is structurally solid, sails as well as it did when she was new, and every single thing works. I have a natural aversion to complexity and the associated maintenance so I do not have a speed wheel throughhull, masthead electrical wind speed indicator, radar, chartplotter, air conditioning, watermaker, anchor windlass, or generator. I do have DC refrigeration, pressure water, a large inverter, a large alternator on the Atomic Four, and a 110V water heater that gets lovingly winterized every fall that but hasn’t been used in years.

On the electrical side, you can see from Kerry’s diagram that the factory configuration ran wires directly under the mast step. This was a poor design decision and over time it led to the disconnection of my port side cabin lights. I found it necessary and preferable to run parallel cabin light wiring up the port side via the engine compartment. This rare poor design has really been my only gripe with the electrical systems on the boat. What exists now is not the picture-perfect meticulous looming that newer boats have, but it is compulsively labeled and, I think, understandable to anyone motivated enough to figure out what is going on.

After running that extra cabin light wire, and some other stuff for the bilge pump and float switch and a stern-mounted VHF antenna, the channel running from the engine room up to the port side cupboard where the VHF and bilge pump switch are located was stuffed full of wires. In recent weeks while adding an AIS receiver and associated doodads I discovered how useful it is to run wires in the overhead, from the starboard side cupboard, forward and around the sliding hatch channel, and back to the port side cupboard. That path now carries wiring to power any port side instruments, a coax VHF cable split from the main (port) VHF for the starboard AIS receiver, another coax cable split from the port VHF for the starboard FM radio, and an NMEA data cable delivering GPS to the port VHF. Getting access to this cable path required removing the frame trim under the main salon hatch, which I had replaced a year ago without reinstalling the trim.

Just some ideas as you’re rewiring. Here’s my suggestion though: what is causing you to spend the time rewiring the whole boat instead of just replacing wires you find objectionable?
    Ditto with our encapsulated loom that passed under the mast. Seems there was a problem with 32's coming out of the factory in the early 70's with the interior mast support column resting on the cabin sole instead of down to the keel. This caused the main brace under the mast load to crack when loaded and sheer the wiring.

I too reconnected to the port side cabin lights via the companionway bulkhead light and everything backfed electrically to work fine again.

Quote Originally Posted by bozturk View Post
    Hello Folks,

We've upgraded the old 6 x 9 basic electrical panel to a Blue Seas with circuit breakers and the AC & DC combined. Problem now was the size of the new panel, so we opted to turn the small storage locker by the port rear qtr berth into the electrical panel and move the original open storage area at the top down to the bottom.

I've also included 12V, usb, 110v outlets and closed storage for car keys/wallets not to mention VHF & AM/FM into the design along with two battery switches to accommodate a third battery. It's hinged to drop down for easy access to the wiring as things (inevitably) get added/upgraded down the road.

Welcome to the world of sailing an Ericson - glad you're aboard! Please feel free to contact me (or any of us I'm sure) with any questions you may have.

regards,
    kerry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Locker.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	24455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaryOn New Electric Panel.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	24457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaryOn New Side Wall Trim 1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	24456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open Panel.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	24458

Hello Christian, Kerry and Mr. Tenders,

Thanks for quick replies. I did not check the tread last week because i was not expexting you respond so soon. Thank you again. I also realized that i.made a typo in my previous post: my boat is.1975 E32, not 1972.

I did not start the rewiring project yet. Bunch of other things needs attention first: transmissin (docking with no reverse was not fun) automatic and manual bilge pump (replacing a 20-yearold hose tht goes under the most greasy parts of the boat), and now both batteries died on me. I am trying to decide if i should get 2 deep ceycle battery or get one starter battery. What about a third "emergency-only" battery? Too many decissions

Mr. Tenders, i would love to check your boat sometime but weekends are going to be tough, because i go to Pt. Washington to work on the boat. How are your weekdays?

Hello Christian, Kerry and Mr. Tenders,

Thanks for quick replies. I did not check the tread last week because i was not expexting you respond so soon. Thank you again. I also realized that i.made a typo in my previous post: my boat is.1975 E32, not 1972.

I did not start the rewiring project yet. Bunch of other things needs attention first: transmissin (docking with no reverse was not fun) automatic and manual bilge pump (replacing a 20-yearold hose tht goes under the most greasy parts of the boat), and now both batteries died on me. I am trying to decide if i should get 2 deep ceycle battery or get one starter battery. What about a third "emergency-only" battery? Too many decissions

Mr. Tenders, i would love to check your boat sometime but weekends are going to be tough, because i go to Pt. Washington to work on the boat. How are your weekdays?

32 2 ports

Hi Im new to this site, cant find where I post new Q. Im looking at a 32-2 1988, the plastic ports lenses are in need of replacement. Is there a place to get new lenses? Soory if I didn't do it right...Thanks Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sailsbad View Post
    Hi Im new to this site, cant find where I post new Q. Im looking at a 32-2 1988, the plastic ports lenses are in need of replacement. Is there a place to get new lenses? Soory if I didn't do it right...Thanks Greg
    Hi Greg & WELCOME!

Not sure what you mean by “plastic ports” as those on the sides of the cabin trunk are tempered glass whereas the ones on top (forward hatch and main salon hatch are indeed of acrylic.

IF it is the side ports you need, there is a ‘78 E-32 that is about to be cut up with good aluminum ports and glass here in Michigan. It also has the two hatches that may be of interest for you (???). They need some clean up work on the Teak but the acrylic looked pretty good yet.

Just click on the “what’s new” link and scroll down (I think). You should be able to find it. It’s only been a little over a week since being posted. You’re in Toledo so I see and VERY close to see the boat and offerings first hand!

You are right, this site will get you more help from Ericson owners who have been there, done it an have the T-shirt for whatever problem you are going through.

Welcome aboard!!
    -kerry
    Last edited by kapnkd; 09-20-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailsbad View Post
    Im looking at a 32-2 1988
    Welcome! And if it is a 1988, it's almost certainly a 32-III... (or a variant, such as the 32-200)

The 32-2 is an older model (different hull design), built from 1969 to 1978.
    Last edited by bgary; 09-20-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here