Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fellow Ericson 32-2 owners?

1974 32-2

If anyone is still out there in the bay area. I am rehabilitating this boat in Oakland Marinas. Let me know if anyone is active out there.

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006wrangler View Post
    My Ericson 32-2, 1972, #250; in S.F. Bay, Ca. I would love to link with fellow Ericson owners in this area. Thanks nmvrdgig@comcast.net
    Although I'm not in your area, I've owned my '73 Ericson 32-II (#296) since new. We've always done our own maintenance and repairs. Should you have any questions about the boat, I probably have already dealt with the issue at one time or another. ...Just give a shout.

Fair Winds! kkdiehl0427@sbcglobal.net

Contributing Partner
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsv1 View Post
    If anyone is still out there in the bay area. I am rehabilitating this boat in Oakland Marinas. Let me know if anyone is active out there.
    got a 1990 32 200 at grand marina

Quote Originally Posted by kapnkd View Post
    Although I'm not in your area, I've owned my '73 Ericson 32-II (#296) since new. We've always done our own maintenance and repairs. Should you have any questions about the boat, I probably have already dealt with the issue at one time or another. ...Just give a shout.

Fair Winds! kkdiehl0427@sbcglobal.net

Thank you for the offer! I am sure I will have quite a few questions. Working on replacing gas tank and wiring now.

Blog Entries
    Hi Blue Chip,

I would like to checkout your 32-200 sometime. I've never been on one and think that is the boat I would like to get when my (larger) slip waiting list number comes up. If you are willing I'd appreciate it. Or, anyone in the SF/Monterey Bay area with a 32-200?
    Lotus Flower
    1976 E27
    Electric Inboard
    Santa Cruz CA

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Thank you for the offer! I am sure I will have quite a few questions. Working on replacing gas tank and wiring now.
    For sure - Hope I can be of help at times.

...Replaced my original galvanized tank back in '79. Went with 1/8 aluminum and have not had a problem since. Sea water used to seep in around the rudder post (no packing in it from factory) so the salt did a number under the tank.

Came down to the boat one day to find several gallons of gasoline in the bilge!!!! THAT was a mess to say the least and another story in itself.

The aluminum tank has held up well over the years and was eventually converted for diesel when we re-powered with a diesel in '91.

Pulling the tank was easier than I thought BUT was a tight fit out and in through the starboard cockpit locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
    Hi Blue Chip,

I would like to checkout your 32-200 sometime. I've never been on one and think that is the boat I would like to get when my (larger) slip waiting list number comes up. If you are willing I'd appreciate it. Or, anyone in the SF/Monterey Bay area with a 32-200?
    Hello "Blue Chip" - You'll find the E-32 a very comfy boat. When I bought mine in '73, I was actually looking for a 27 but the dealer didn't have one in stock nor any in the area. He did have the 32 and when I saw it - It was an instant love affair. We grew into it as I got married and started a family. She's been an excellent cruiser and competitive racer as my son got into racing years later.

She's been a comfortable and capable boat all through the Bahamas, Florida East & West coasts plus the Dry Tortugas. Now in Lake Erie where we got into being a racer, she made us proud over the years. We even took a 1st overall in the Trans Erie Race and set a record for her class that stood for 10 years! ...GREAT boat and even today still gets compliments on her lines. (Photo of racing flags she's won included.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Racing Flags - E32.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	23886

IF you can, DO check his boat out - you will be pleasantly surprised!
    Last edited by kapnkd; 03-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Smile

My Ericson 32-2, 1972, #250; in S.F. Bay, Ca. I would love to link with fellow Ericson owners in this area. Thanks nmvrdgig@comcast.net
    Kapnkd: Yes I am going with Moeller tank as this was what a marina neighbor has in his Islander for many years. So I went with it. That said, I have my hands full with previous modifications to wiring and its a mess. I have had the A4 running before i bought it but it is not so pretty either. I hope to get this all in line by June July. All fun though as it's a two brother job and we enjoy hanging out. I will post some pictures later. V

Sustaining Member

E-32 in Stockton

I have #243 homeport San Rafael currently in Stockton. She's the one with the stained glass ports and mermaid figurehead. Heading back to San Rafael in July for a last haulout before going South. If you do the Latitude38 Delta Doodah this summer stop by Little Venice YC.

Kapnkd: Yes I am going with Moeller tank as this was what a marina neighbor has in his Islander for many years. So I went with it. That said, I have my hands full with previous modifications to wiring and its a mess. I have had the A4 running before i bought it but it is not so pretty either. I hope to get this all in line by June July. All fun though as it's a two brother job and we enjoy hanging out. I will post some pictures later. V
    Good choice for your tank replacement, ours was a custom built by a local builder.

...Electrical has always been a challenge as you add or change accessories over the years. Sooner or later, you look at it and it looks like a birds nest if not careful!

Our 32-II factory wiring harness ran under the mast crossing over from starboard to port. Our boat (#296) had a flaw in the mast support to the keel and the main brace cracked shorting out the port cabin lights the first year we had the boat. I located the wiring in the aft port bulkhead locker and ran wires through the engine compartment directly back to the original stbd side electrical panel. Problem solved by back feeding the electric to the port side.

We've now replaced the original electrical panel in the galley area and relocated a new Blue Seas panel in the small (port) aft quarter berth locker. The panel extends to the underside deck and the old railing was moved lower to make a storage area for winch handles sticking with the same footprint as the old locker.

We're also now going with all led lighting wherever we can to keep battery usage to a minimum. (We also modified the battery box under the aft 1/4 berth to accommodate 3 batteries.

Like you with your brother, my son and I have had many hours of enjoyable time together working on our boat.

Here's what our new electrical looks like. Note the drop down feature for easy access to the wiring. The panel includes storage for cell phones/wallets, AC & DC plus 120V outlets along with 12V outlets and USB.

Name:	Looking Aft with new side liner in place.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	23893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New E32 Electric Panel1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	23894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New E32 Electric Panel2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	23895

I like that teak-and-holly stuff you've got against the hull to the left of the panel. What is that - fabric? It looks really nice, I initially thought perhaps it was Plasteak or something solid, but it appears a bit wrinkled along the bench where the cushion would go.

My '69 has something resembling off-white naugahyde or vinyl there, and it is stained and goobly.
    1969 Ericson 32 #112 • Atomic Four
    City Island, NYC
    “Muxie Duxer”
    Hair by Mr. Gigi

Quote Originally Posted by tenders View Post
    I like that teak-and-holly stuff you've got against the hull to the left of the panel. What is that - fabric? It looks really nice, I initially thought perhaps it was Plasteak or something solid, but it appears a bit wrinkled along the bench where the cushion would go.

My '69 has something resembling off-white naugahyde or vinyl there, and it is stained and goobly.
    Our boat also had the white foam backed Naugahyde which finally after many years started separating from the foam in areas leaving wrinkles and it also became stained over the years. I actually had vinyl paint sprayed it but was never 100% happy with it.

Cary found this product on the web which is intended as a flooring for pontoon boats. At the time we were able to by factory seconds on eBay for a better price that you couldn't even see the flaw in the weave. It's a very strong weave with a 1/4 inch durable foam backing (not like the soft foam before).

We also installed it in the V-Berth, Hanging Locker and even back wall of the head. (Photos below - The head's flooring is a different material called PlasDeck)

...Not sure this is the same site, but is the same product. You can look closely at the weave when you run the mouse over their photos. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Vinyl-Boat-Pontoon-Flooring-w-Padding-Teak-02-Tan-8-5-wide/192424634084?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D17d262fd63ab40e 8ba9bf4d269ff1904%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192346374839%26itm%3D192424634084&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Name:	Hanging Locker Wall Trim.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	23903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head Vinyl Siding.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	23904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-Berth.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	23905

Quote Originally Posted by kapnkd View Post
    Good choice for your tank replacement, ours was a custom built by a local builder.

...Electrical has always been a challenge as you add or change accessories over the years. Sooner or later, you look at it and it looks like a birds nest if not careful!

Our 32-II factory wiring harness ran under the mast crossing over from starboard to port. Our boat (#296) had a flaw in the mast support to the keel and the main brace cracked shorting out the port cabin lights the first year we had the boat. I located the wiring in the aft port bulkhead locker and ran wires through the engine compartment directly back to the original stbd side electrical panel. Problem solved by back feeding the electric to the port side.

We've now replaced the original electrical panel in the galley area and relocated a new Blue Seas panel in the small (port) aft quarter berth locker. The panel extends to the underside deck and the old railing was moved lower to make a storage area for winch handles sticking with the same footprint as the old locker.

We're also now going with all led lighting wherever we can to keep battery usage to a minimum. (We also modified the battery box under the aft 1/4 berth to accommodate 3 batteries.

Like you with your brother, my son and I have had many hours of enjoyable time together working on our boat.

Here's what our new electrical looks like. Note the drop down feature for easy access to the wiring. The panel includes storage for cell phones/wallets, AC & DC plus 120V outlets along with 12V outlets and USB.

Name:	Looking Aft with new side liner in place.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	23893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New E32 Electric Panel1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	23894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New E32 Electric Panel2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	23895
    You have a beautiful Boat! I will be in Oakland this coming weekend and will take some more pictures!

You have a beautiful Boat! I will be in Oakland this coming weekend and will take some more pictures!

Thanks and GREAT! ...Looking forward to seeing your photos. ...Here's a couple more taken last fall before haul out. We added the double life lines and newer style bow pulpit. In the cockpit instead of painting the non-skid, we went with "Eva-Teak" product. It's very comfortable to sit on having a slight soft foam feel to it. It's supposed to last for at least 5 to 7 years (???) We'll see!

Name:	CaryOn Double Lifelines.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	23907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaryOn Teak Cockpit.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	23908

Given the multiple and recent encouraging replies from other E-32 owners (Mk II & Mk III) you received, I would think we should ALL link up however, as best we can, to share info on problems,repairs, solutions and accomplishments that have worked for us over the years. ESPECIALLY WITH PHOTO DOCUMENTATIONS.

Not sure how it all works being a NON I-tech sort of person, but the "friending" thingy seems to be a start???

Let us share (photos, projects & more) to learn going forward!!!!!

After all, it IS a hard boat to beat - even on the race course yet!!!

Fair Winds as a new sailing season approaches!!
    -kerry ...the OLDER of us as a member (kapnkd)