• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Manual or diagram for Whale Gusher MK 3 pump ?

Sven

Seglare
Googling for this has stumped me ... I'd just like to see what the insides of a manual Whale pump looks like without having to open the one plumbed into our pumpout plumbing.

Thanks,

-Sven

Ray Rhode

Member III
Sven,

I scanned the instructions for the pump. I will have to reduce the size of the file in order to post them adn they may not be too helpful at that resolutionn. If you want me to send you the full size scanns back channel give me your email address. Otherwise I'll reduce them and post.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Glyn Judson

Whale Gusher 3.

Sven, If you're asking because you're considering a rebuild, go for it. I think I've rebuilt both of the ones on the Dawn Treader and it's pretty simple and straight forward. West Marine had the rebuild kits some years ago, I see no reason why they would not still have them. Thanks to you and Nancy and all the rest of the gang for making the weekend so much fun, Glyn

Sven

Seglare
Hi Ray,

I scanned the instructions for the pump. I will have to reduce the size of the file in order to post them adn they may not be too helpful at that resolutionn. If you want me to send you the full size scanns back channel give me your email address. Otherwise I'll reduce them and post.

Many thanks. How about Senta @ mail.grenander.com ?

Thanks again.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Glyn,

Sven, If you're asking because you're considering a rebuild, go for it.

My main reason for asking is to understand how strong/weak the valves might be. I am worried that the somewhat funky plumbing might have caused so much suction during deck pumpout that the valves gave way (blew out). I'll have to draw a diagram of what I know about the plumbing so far to explain it better.

Thanks to you two (4) too for the great time. I love the picture of Jack mournfully looking at the camera to be spared the indignity of having to leap into the dingy again !

I think I'll nominate Jeff to organize the post-labor day gathering we discussed. Should we let him catch his breath first ?

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Whale Gusher 10.

Sven and all, I have taken the Gusher 10 apart too, several of them and they as well are pretty simple. The guts are two flapper valves and a bug diaphragm essentially. I've found that the consistent problem with them in a marine environment is that salts and aluminum oxide build up beneath the flapper valve pivot points and prohibit them from closing all the way, result: pump no bueno. The fix is simple, it consists of removing the two screws for each flapper, removing the crud and slime and reassembly. The only reason for a rebuild (read expensive as I recall) is if the rubber flappers have bent permanently from the crud or if the big bellows is cracked and leaking air. Hope this helps, Glyn

Glyn Judson

Postscript to the big weekend.

All, In the wee hours of Sunday morning I was awakened to what I thought was the sound of one of the pups scratching and thumping a leg on a vertical surface. It happened several times over the period of several minutes and after telling them to go back to sleep. It didn't, I didn't so I grabbed the flash light to see if it were a bird on deck, nothing to be seen so back to sleep. Marilyn stacks the cushions vertically under the Bimini over night to protect them from the night dew so when preparing for her departure, she grabbed one to put it in place and there behind it was a big dead silvery flying fish who was hidden from my sight earlier and who had stopped flopping around by the time I got up with the light. I felt bad for the little guy and wished I'd gotten to him in time to toss him back. Boy did those cushions stink!! Glyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sven,
If you are working on the holding tank pumping system, I would advise following the Keith's advise and changing over the the plastic Mk 5 waste pump. No more corroding aluminum pump.
I replaced the partly-eaten-up aluminum Mk 10 with a Mk 5 Sanitation pump. Mounting holes were a bit different, but a big plus is that the handle can be oriented in almost any direction. :nerd:

There is a picture of it in place, in the earlier thread on my head system rebuild. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6251&highlight=mk+5+pump

Picture is in reply #22.

Be sure to wash your hands before touching the computer again, too!
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
LB

ps: I agree that the Whale site is not very well organized and their product descriptions are poor.

Attachments

• mk5_sanitation_pump.jpg
    mk5_sanitation_pump.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,859
Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
Don't know if anyone brought this up yet but the rebuild kits come in two flavors; one for water [bilge] and one for nasties. If I remember the one for nasties is about $10 more. They run in the $40 to $50 range depending where you buy them. Rebuilding is a snap. I wrote a post on it awhile back on doing the nasties version, so if interested check the archives.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
When I replaced my Mk III (with a MK V) it was way beyond servicing. The seats where the flapper valves resided were simply corroded away so that no new valve was going to ever make a seal there. Make sure you remove and disassemble the pump before you buy the $$$ rebuild kit.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Which pump is it

So, is this thread about a Mk 3 Whale galley pump or a Mk 10 bilge pump?
Quite a difference!!
:)
If the pump maker is trying to confuse us, they may be succeeding...

LB

Attachments

• galley_mkiii_pump.jpg
    galley_mkiii_pump.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

dcoyle

Member III
I just replaced the Mark 2 with a new mark3. When first disassembling the original the hoses were siliconed and hose clamped to ports on pump. I didnt use any silicon when reassembling the 1st time and had a bad oder that I now suspect was coming from weeping at that joint. I just installed new pump, holding tank, and hoses. When water testing system pump leaked, so now I am cleaning grease off pump and hose and using silicon to form gasket between ports and hose.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

So, is this thread about a Mk 3 Whale galley pump or a Mk 10 bilge pump?
Quite a difference!!
:)

LB

It is a Mk 3, as you can see in the image in my post above, but it is definitely not a galley pump :egrin:

I think the 10 might be part of the designation (?) but it is not the Mk number.

-Sven