• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-34 Universal M25-XP water pump

FWQuinn

Looking to replace fresh water & Raw water pumps on my M25-XP. KKMI boatyard told me when I had it in for haul out that they would either have to take the front of engine apart or pull the head to replace fresh water pump. They suggested pulling & R&R head which will cost big $. Anyone have experience with this. Are these water pumps user replacable, or is it best left to diesel mechanic? What needs to be torn apart to replace?
Thanks,
Frank Quinn
Ericson 34 - "Sierra Star"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
They are either very mistaken or very dishonest. You do not need to remove the head. BTW, this is a common Kubota tractor engine and if you get the serial number from the block, a local tractor supply can get you the pump for probably less than half what a boat yard would charge.

The raw water pump can be removed without touching anything else.

You can do this yourself with some basic engine knowledge. Otherwise find a new boatyard.

Here some more info:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?p=10077

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the raw water pump

Frank,
Please see my nearby thread on this subject.
I would only add that the new pump did not come with a new paper gasket to seal it against the block. I was able to very carefully razor blade the old gasket off in a reusable condition. I put a thin layer of silicone on both sides of that paper gasket when I installed the new pump.
So far, so good. Wonderful in fact.

Loren
:egrin:

ref_123

Member III
Call Tom List

Hi Frank,

give a call to List Marine (415) 332-5478 - Tom will help you and his prices are typically very fair. Second opinion never hurts. They are in Sausalito, and can come to your boat. Also can try Bay Marine Diesel in Alameda (510) 435-8870.

KKMI does have a good reputation, but so did Nelson until recently. So, trust but double-check :).

Raw water pumps is readily avalable and replaceable, both Oberdoefer and Sherwood. Should be about $230. I got mine from Adiesel:

http://www.adiesel.com/oberdorfer.html

Fresh water pump - no idea, to be honest.

Regards,
Stan

FWQuinn

Thanks for replys

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, appreciate the good info and I'll be following up on it. On top of the engine my Harken roller furling broke this past weekend. Isn't boating fun?