• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newbie Seeking Help/Info on Buying a 1976 E23

Marshall

Member I
When I found the year of the Yamaha 6hp engine online, by referencing the product number, I saw that the weight of the engine is 57 pounds, if I recall. It's a 2 cyl, 2 stroke.

The 3hp Yamaha, I failed to look for and make a note of any tags on it. But I was not able to try it, unless I was going to remove the 6hp off the mount and then put the 3hp there. No idea if it'll start or run, but the owner told me that it needs a tune up (which can mean more). I'll be in the vicinity of the boat, this Saturday. I can probably revisit the boat and see if it has gas/oil and if it'll start at all.

Personally, I think the 6hp would be a better choice. But you have the experience. The 6hp is an added expense and I'm trying to keep the price and expense down...

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
My E23 came with a '79 Honda 10 that weighed 84# and I replaced it in '98 with the Honda 8 which was exactly the same motor(different rating system). It's been dang near the perfect motor as it's not as heavy as the newer 4 strokes and 3/4 throttle is good for "hull speed" w/ some in reserve. The problem I see is that unless the engine is a 2 cyl you'll end up w/ a high level of vibration, which may, or may not, be an issue depending how much you use it. I used a friends 3hp Merc to get to the ramp when the 10 died and it was barely adequate, and didn't have reverse.:eek: Having to spin the motor around when you're approaching a dock is too exciting.

That 6 2stroke should be a twin, but you better check your local laws as older 2 strokes are being banned in a lot of areas/marinas, especially in California.

Last edited:

Marshall

Member I
Yes, the 6hp is a 2 cylinder, 2 stroke. I didn't know about the banning of 2 strokes in any marinas. Thanks, I'll ask around about it.

The newer Yamaha 4 stroke outboards are around 100 pounds, if I recall. I have not checked other brands, but I know that at the prices I've seen new ones, I'll have to find a good deal in a used one if I don't get this 6hp.

As for hp rating, seems to me that a little more is better than not enough, just give it as much throttle as needed for the circumstances.

Marshall

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
you better check your local laws[/B] as older 2 strokes are being banned in a lot of areas/marinas, especially in California.

As far as I am aware 2 strokes are only banned from distribution and can't be purchased new in California. I believe that they are banned on many lakes but you see plenty of the old two strokes in the coastal Marina's pushing sailboats and dinghys. Also at Catalina Island.

Last edited: