• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Galley Maid alcohol stove conversion

erikwfab

Member II
I have the origional 3 burner w/ oven alcohol stove aboard my 1976 E36C.
I need to either convert the burners to propane or replace them with new alcohol ones.
My problem is that the current burners are cast steel worn and dont burn clean. Because they do not burn clean,they soot up the pots and lighting of the pre-heating cup can be exciting if you let in too much fuel, i need to do something. The stove itself is structurally sound and in good shape, i hate to simply replace it and and toss it and i dont think there is a market for origional stoves like this, so either converting the burners or replacing with new alcohol ones seems the way to go.
has any one done this? i am no Paul Prudohme, and wonder if i even need an oven, but i do appreciate a reliable, safe, and efficient gas flame to cook over.

Attachments

• Galley Maid stove 001.jpg
    Galley Maid stove 001.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 691
  • Galley Maid stove 002.jpg
    Galley Maid stove 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 636
  • Galley Maid stove 003.jpg
    Galley Maid stove 003.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 355

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan B, as it were....
Since the last 20 years have seen a zillion of those older pressure alcohol stove/ovens replaced with either propane or Origo ranges, you might find an inexpensive one in much better condition than yours at a marine second hand store or even a swap meet. I have seen 'em sold for a very few bucks. You might find one or two that could be stripped of good parts to combine to make one good galley range.

LB

ChrisS

Member III
As Loren says, find a salvage. Via Craigslist, I picked one up from a dock character for a 24 pack of MGD, stripped the burners and other parts I needed, and got a spare tank to boot. Use the Origo fuel--no soot/odor, although more expensive than the stuff from Hope Depot.

FWIW, I find the oven invaluable. Nice to heat up a frozen pizza etc. while on the hook.

Matey

Member III
need a tank

I have the same stove and plan a rebuild, but my pressure tank is rusted out. I haven't been able to find a replacement. If anyone knows of one .. or your spare is available Chris, I'd be interested in buying it.

Regards, Greg

Emerald

I don't know if you'll find the exact model, but I'm pretty sure Bacon's has some stoves of this genre on-hand at reasonable prices. Their website is:

http://www.baconsails.com/

They do hardware consignment in addition to the sails. They also have a lot more than what is shown on the website, so call for details.

Last edited:

erikwfab

Member II
All trades considered, barter is nontaxable

thank you all for the info, I had never thought of a different type of fuel, interesting. I hesitiate to trade one problem for another so buying used parts for this stove is not appealing. Propane seems like my way to go, and trading for a good working stove is appealing. i have the pictured stove and also this heater complete that I really do not need so if anyone is interested in a trade lets talk. i discovered that there is a Force 10 2 burner with a broiler below it, a half stove if you will, that looks great. Does anyone have experience with this unit?
Cheers
Erik

Attachments

• Cole Stove 1655 001.jpg
    Cole Stove 1655 001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Cole Stove 1655 002.jpg
    Cole Stove 1655 002.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Cole Stove 1655 003.jpg
    Cole Stove 1655 003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 309

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I'll check Kelly Marine in San Pedro for you. I bought a nice stainless steel propane from them a few years ago for about 80.00. I know they have a nice kerosene stove in there right now. Or at least they did a couple of days ago.

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have a pressure tank for that stove I pulled off my boat several years ago. It is in great shape and has only seen fresh water. It is in Southeast Michigan. Let me know if you are still interested in it.
tdtrimmer@yahoo.com
tom

Matey

Member III
Tank found

I've found a tank through a generous Viking.

Thanks for the help !

Regards, Greg

Matey

Member III
What type of hose ?

I've brought my Galley Maid stove back from the dead. While I know they are much hated by most .. I need a new supply hose from the tank to the stove that is flexible. I was wondering if gas hose A1/A2 would be alcohol resistiant ? Any ideas ?
Decided to repair it for a few years as I can't afford an uprgrade right now .. and besides, it goes with my Atomic 4 :scared:

Regards, Greg

** you can see her in action at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cu1PeiSbY

Howard Keiper

Well, let me say that I did the conversion to the 'high heat' or wharever it's called back in 1984 , or so. It was a very good thing to do, although my wife never did like it. I think she was, by then already enamored of the LPG / propane. Anyway, it was a very , very neat install. Although the start up (of a burner) is more tedious than gas, the heat produced is just unbelievble...easily comparable to Propane.
I have to say that I will more than likely move to a Propane system just for convenience sake. But the 'hihg heat' conversion does what it's supposed to. Nice.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley