• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pendant to raise jib

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I need to raise the foot of my roller furling jib about 12" so the the sail clears the pulpit and lifelines to prevent chafing. Short of raising the furler drum which would involve modifying the foil, I was told that I could add a pendant. Any suggestions how to construct something like this? I was thinking wire with a thimble eye on the bottom to attach to the drum shackle and a snap shackle on top to attach to the sail tack ring.

e38 owner

Member III
spectra is great for things like that

I would loop a piece of spectra through the tack and furler. It works great from things like that.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Save some bucks

I was thinking wire with a thimble eye on the bottom to attach to the drum shackle and a snap shackle on top to attach to the sail

Instead of a snap shackle, why not attach it permanently to the sail? Save some bucks.

I assume you have room at the top of your foil. No pendant there?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Both qoutes are spot on. Not sure what size boat but probably use 1/4" or 5/16" Amsteel (Spectra). Splice one end to the tack of the sail the other end splice an eye for the shackle at the furler. Or simply get someone to put eyes in either end of the pennat and cowhitch onto the sail. You got enough clearance at the top? Dont use wire. It has no place on a boat other than shrouds IMHO. It will end up with meat hooks that will hurt someone or your sail. Dyneema (spectra/Amsteel) holds up fine to uv.

u079721

Contributing Partner
It doesn't need to be anything that elaborate. We carefully controlled the height of our upper swivel to avoid getting wraps around the foil. That is, we wanted the upper swivel to be as high as possible to avoid wraps, with just enough of a gap to allow for plenty of luff tension in high winds.

To do that we just looped a 6' or so length of 1/4" Dacron line though the top of the lower swivel and through the tack of the sail. After about three loops the lines met in the middle, where they were tied off. We did this for over ten years, and while I thought about getting a pendant made up, this system worked fine and wasn't really broken.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
There is plenty of room at the top of the foil. There is a short, maybe 6", pendant between the top of the sail and the swivel which I would have to remove to attach the sail directly to the swivel. This pendant is made of coated wire, like some lifelines. There is more room above the swivel and there is a block on the front of the mast to keep a good angle on the halyard to avoid wraps.

I don't know if I could do the multiple loops of 1/4" line; the shackle on the drum is pretty small. I'd have to look at it again.

The Spectra sounds good, but can that stuff be spliced? I've got Brion Toss's "Splicing Wand" and DVD on splicing Double Braid and Sta-Set X. I've made several Double Braid splices already for the main sheet and boom vang. It also sounds like making two splices on that short a piece of line would be kind of difficult...

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'll second the Amsteel recommendation! I love the stuff. So easy to work with. I hang my Wichard Gyb'Easy on the boom with a strop of Amsteel every season. Instead of the splicing wand a Bic pen and some blue painters tape works great.

RT

Rhynie

Member III
mhercat,
You might want to take a turn through the tack thimble and around the shank of the furler. When you trim in hard, there will be a tendancy for the Tack to pull aft away from the furler. With the tack directly fastented to the furler shackle, that fitting takes the load directed along the foot. With the pennant, you might get a wrinkle emanating from the point that the luff tape enters the furler.

Chris A.

Member III
I agree with Steve and the others- we are sometimes our own worst enemies by making things too complicated. Splicing or wire not needed and big waste of time for this IMHO. Tie it off with some light high tech line- I think we use Amsteel. Several circuits through tack and swivel then tied off with a few half hitches makes a strong, easily adjustable pendant. Probably higher breaking strength than your halyard. You can run some rigging tape around any loose ends to keep things neat.

Good luck and don't waste time with wire or splices here!

Cheers

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I was thinking about this last night and came to the same conclusion. Way overthought. I'm even thinking the Spectra/Amsteel may be overkill. The amount of stretch in a 12" piece of dacron double braid is going to be negligible; and I have plenty of that laying around. The idea of securing the tack makes sense.

Rhynie

Member III
mhercatt,
I have used those little snap type fittings, you can find them about 4 inches long with the snap on both ends. Lowes carries then in stainless for about $5; won't give you the length you are looking for but work great as extenders, have one on mine right now.

Another fix is to drop the top lifelines down a tad, some folks frown on this but it works. Get a pair of the clamp-on type brackets and put them on the second rail of the bow pulpit. If I get a chance today I'll take a pic, have it set up that way on mine.

Rhynie

Member III
merhcatt,
Took this yesterday, looking forward towards port side of pulpit; shows the upper lifeline terminating to the second bar on pulpit and the clip on the furler

Attachments

• Rhynie pulpit.jpg
    Rhynie pulpit.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 595