• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 standing rigging tension

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am installing all new standing rigging and need the inital tension settings. I have looked in the manual but cannot locate it and I cannot search this site using more than 1 word otherwise I get an OR search.

I hate the description in the manual that says the wire should deflect so many inches when moderate lateral pressure is applied. What is moderate? I can tell you it is different for me than it is for someone younger and stronger.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The owners manual is a pretty good start for rig tuning, and I'll assume you know what you are doing with regards to tune and are simply looking for tension numbers. Most spar maunfaturers and riggers reccommend that when heeled the lee rigging should not be swinging in the breeze but somewhat unloaded is to be expected. The touble with tuning that way is since ericsons and many others are not the stiffest boats in the world you may end up bending your boat and having cabin doors hard to close. Most folks suggest 15-20% of breaking strenght load for cap shrouds. So 8mm wire is roughly 5/16, breaking load is about 12k lbs, 15% would be about 1,800lbs. Not sure what your wire size isTake a look here:

http://www.seldenmast.com/frameset.cfm?id=6740&randnum=847130974

Download the hints and advice in English, see pg 28 for tension.

This is for a sleden spar but these guys are pretty good and this guide is one of the better ones I have seen. Again you will need to determine just how far you can go without bending your boat.