• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chain Plate Failure !!

Rhynie

Member III
Catalinas have a similar U-bolt type fitting on some models; it might be worth checking with Catalina Direct. You might hit it lucky with dimensions.

Roger

Member II
Anybody get in touch with Navtec yet? They supplied all the components of the Ericson tie-rod chainplate systems, including the U-bolts. I don't see the U-bolts listed in their on-line catalog, but perhaps they have some tucked away in a dusty box in a corner. IIRC, there was more than one size of U-bolt so you may have to provide some dimensions.

Chris A.

Member III
I just spoke with Navtec and they do not supply them, but he did say they were the original equipment manufacturer. The fellow referred me to Rig Rite and a place called Bay Sailing in Mass where I am waiting on a response.

Navtec was interested in being helpful- unlike Rig Rite!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Yeah Rig Rite can be hard to deal with. I dealt with them professionally for a while and found you really needed to know part numbers and details or they just were not interested. We did a few thousand a month with them so we got better treatment but you are correct they are not the most customer oriented.

An alternative that might work would be to use the Wichard forged units but you would have to glass up and re drill and I'm not sure how the tierods would work out... They would not match but at least the Wichard units are built for this task, its a shame the dimension are off.

Brian Duff

what is the rod size and hole center on these U-bolts. I can call rig rite for you and see what we get. I bought a set of these from them just last fall....

Oh, and the should be made by turning out of a larger diameter rod, then bending... from what my fabricator tells me!

Brian Duff
yacht rigger

Southbound Cruising Services, Annapolis

Last edited:

waltersaegir

Member I
Any news

What has anyone found on this.

On another thread, I posted my rigging replacement adventure and even replacing the toggle has been a problem. The chainplate sounds just as bad.

Chris A.

Member III
I was not able to find any supplier of the u-bolts. My friend is sailing on his fabricated ones, and I guess this is what I would do if I need a replacement in the future. Brian says he bought these from Rig-Rite, though, so I guess they would be worth a try if anybody's looking but my friend spoke with them on this and reports they did not have them. Maybe it depends on who you speak with. Anybody who knows an off the shelf supplier please chime in.

Beanruben

Member I
Source for 30+ ubolt chain plates

Hey folks,

I have been emailing with Rig Rite Custom parts department and they stock this item. Very expensive however. Here is the part number. It is a Nav Tec Part. They have a couple in stock but are able to make more.

Nav UBA-8S-2.5 (1/2" x 2 1/2" long (below deck)): $289. In stock.

I'm trying to find out how they made them as that might justify the price. The cheapest price I got for having them forged envolved $2k to set up the mold and then about $50 a piece to make. To make them out of bent rod I found prices around $50 - $100.

Apparently these were origionally bent at least for my 83 vintage, and according to rig rite were prone to cracking. Hope this helps and please let me know if there are any other owners looking for these parts as a larger order would mean cheaper prices.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Brian is spot on

The least likelihood of stress risers would be starting by machining from bar stock the same diameter as the boss. It's been a long time since I dealt with stress relieving of stainless in the Type 316 grade. Cold bending/ cold working as I recall induces work hardening of stainless steel. Any welding is least desirable on this type of component.
Only way to compensate is to go larger in diameter to compensate for the relative loss of strength, and that leads to sequential modifications up the chain.