• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electric Lift Pump for 5432

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
So I'm thinking I want to carry a spare electric fuel pump for my New England cruise but I can justify spending $160-$260 for a direct replacement Facet pump. Knock on wood the original pump seems to be holding up just fine but its one of those things that if it goes I will be engineless. Short of some sort of jury rigged gravity feed tank. So it looks to me like the pump should be 6-8 psi and 32 gph. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap electric fuel pump from the local auto parts store that puts out the 6-8 psi or get a regulator to dial it down. This way i can have a spare pump to use to get me where I need and can then spend the top dollar. Having spent enough time working on old cars and knowing that this is just a lift pump and not a high pressure pump leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with this approach but I always welcome other opinions.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a pump for you. A friend of mine gave it to me years ago, got it for a hovercraft project and never used it. Its a Master brand generic electric fuel pump. I will note that the instructions state "not intended for marine or aircraft use" States 5-9psi, has instructions and mounting bracket, in the box. I almost threw it out. Its yours for free if you want it. Let me know, I'll ship it out. RT

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Fuel Pump

Ted:
Due to total stupidity I just had to replace my Facet pump, but it probably turned out to be a blessing.....

Went sailing with seven people on the boat.....very windy, and pretty big waves......With everyone talking.....the wind....about 22 knots....and the water and wave noises on the hull I simply pulled the kill cable and did not turn off the key switch....

At least an hour later one of the people went below for something and told me they heard a pump running.....I went down and started looking around and found that it was the fuel pump...... we motored back to the ICW for an hour, and then another hour back to the dock.....ran fine....

A week later we went to go sailing, and while getting the boat ready I started the engine to let it warm up.....it ran for about two minutes and died.

I disconnected the outlet line and sure enough.....no fuel......

I went to a NAPA auto parts store in Ft. Lauderdale, and they had the identical pump.....they checked the pressure rating and it is between 5 and 6 PSI.....

I paid 150.00 for it......checking out the information on the pump online later I find that it can be had for about $80.00....FWIW...

After all said and done, the reason for the verbosity boils down to....REPLACE THE PUMP......they are designed for Automotive use, and should run forever....except that nothing is forever.....after 22 years mine giving up the ghost is not the end of the world.....but I was lucky...it could have been....

Mort Fligelman

Member III
More Fuel Pump

Ted:

Page 27.....May 2009 Sail Magazine......

Looks like CHEAP insurance to me......considering todays insurance costs.....and the possibility of avoiding aggravation

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Funny thing Mort thats the very article that had me thinking about this.

RT thanks I'll send you a private message with my address and yo can give me yours to reimburse you for shipping at the least!

jkm

Member III
I recently purchased a Facet pump for about $75 and companion filter. My intent is to change out a 42 year old pump in my car.

Don't know if it would be the same model as you are quoting, but here's a link

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=30834

Usually their stuff is pretty reasonably priced in the collector car marketplace.

As usual, now you guys have me wondering about the age Penguin's pump!

John