• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

starter issue

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Non Ericson specific.

I have a friend with a Catalina 30 with a starter problem. Turning the key to start the diesel the engine would crank and start but the starter would not disengage. If you turned the key to the off position the starter would stop and the engine would run fine. My friend replaced the starter/solenoid and nothing changed (starter kept running until key was turned off). He replaced the switch and now the engine starts, the starter keeps cranking but when the key is turned off the engine stops.

Any thoughts?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have heard of the Bendix drive not disengaging on starters from time to time but it is highly unlikely that two starters in a row would do this. Sounds like the solenoid wire is connected to a constant hot on the starter switch when it should be on the momentary terminal. Since things changed when he changed switches its quite likely that he is wiring things incorrectly OR there is a cross-connection/short somewhere downstream of the switch. Start chasing the wires down individually.

OR

The problem is the boat is a Catalina and not an ERICSON! :p

RT

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Rob.

> OR - The problem is the boat is a Catalina and not an ERICSON!

That's a given! :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Depending on the model year, the Catalina probably has a Universal diesel...
I wonder what is going on with the starter or the ring gear?
LB

Shadowfax

Member III
Sounds electrical to me; bad switch or cross wiring. I doubt the Bendix spring if it is retracting when the power is removed.