• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help Buying Decision

ShelleyG

Hi, I have looked over 15 boats since I started looking for a 27' sailboat. I have finally narrowed it down to 2 boats. a 1978 E27 in GREAT shape and an 1987 O'day 272LE
They are both the same price and this being my first sailboat I am having a hard time deciding. The E27 has a wheel and a yanmar 8hp with a 2 blade prop and has been very well cared for but of course the year of the O'day 272LE also wheel and westerbeke 10Hp has lured me into buying it.
Can some one advice me on the advantages or desavantages of getting either one.?
Any info is GREATLY appreciated.

I m planning on sailing on the Boston Mass area...

Shelley

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If you come to this web site and ask which is the better boat, an Ericson or O'Day?, I think the stock answer will be the Ericson, hands down. I also looked at two E-27s, one with a Westerbeke and one with the Yanmar. I went with the Yanmar. Much quieter and more reliable, as well as lighter. Very strong motor! I think the Ericson's are stronger and are lade out better inside. What year is the E-27? Mine's a 1973.

Jeff

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
FWIW, my boat before my 1985 Ericson 32 was an O'Day 23, which I bought new in 1980. I am very impressed with the construction of my Ericson. I was not impressed at all with the O'Day and spent much time reinforcing it.

jwolfgra

Member II
I've got an E29 which is a slightly longer version of the E27. Terrific boat, very user friendly sailing and maintenance. Another thing you may consider in your evaluation is the quality of information available on this board. It is a tremendous resource in vetting maintenance and sailing ideas... Not sure if O'day has a similar board. Good luck.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I was seriously looking a one O'Day, only to find that it had an iron keel. That was a deal-breaker for me, and if you feel the same way, you might want to take along a magnet the next time you visit the O'Day.

ShelleyG

Thank you!!! I put an offer

Thank you for all of your replies! I have made my decision, I made an offer for the Ericson 27 and after closely inspecting the O'day 272LE even though its a much younger boat the older Ericson is in better shape, has more head room inside and seems like a stronger built boat all together. I think i may be a new proud owner of a 1978 E27.
:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Let us know...

Please let us know what happens with your purchase - and post a picture of your new boat if it all goes ok - good luck with closing!

//sse

ShelleyG

My new boat ...:)

Here is a picture of my new boat still sitting on land.. :)

I have a lot of learning to do, it is my first sailboat.
I went to sailing school 2 years ago.
I am sure I made a good choice but the survey on the boat is being done next week.

bye now

Shelley

Attachments

• aftshot.jpg
    aftshot.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 54

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
New Ericson!

Congrats - and welcome to the family! You've made an excellent decision - she's ~very~ pretty!