• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Running rigging

jwolfgra

Member II
I'm looking at replacing my headsail halyards, pretty old and ratty. The jib halyard is a wire/rope splice, I'm assuming the mast head block for it is grooved to handle the wire. I'd like to replace with pure rope, Stay-set X or Spectra. Do you think it would be ok to run that stuff across the wire/rope block. I'd really prefer not to have to go aloft and replace the block, and definitly don't want to pull the mast at this time.

thoughts?

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Check it out

Go to page 8, E-27 Halyard Replacement, Linda Buchanan. follow the threads. Learn and grow wise. (I love this web-site, don't you?):cool:

Jim Baldwin

Member II
I don't see a problem

The mast is now down now on my E-27 and a close look at the sheeves tells me that all-rope halyards should work just fine. I also found another comment about this from another web site...This Ericson owner also replaced the rope/wire halyards with all rope and reports no problems. So maybe you should go aloft and have a good look yourself. :)

cruis-n

Member II
Lubricate the sheaves

Do yourself a favor while the mast is down and lubricate the sheaves. While the mast was down (for a year) we repalced the running rigging and all wiring. Forgot to lubricate the sheaves until the first time I raised a sail. The whole marina heard it going up!

I'd try to use something like Super Lube rather than oil or WD-40.

cruis-n

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I replaced ours, I had to choose between 5/16 and 3/8 T-900.
It turns out that the 3/8 is do-able, but really too tight a fit. OTOH the 5/16 just barely holds in the clutch stoppers...
But it does hold.
:)

If you do take the spar down, take out the old sheaves and turn them on the lathe to get rid of the roughness and burrs from all those years of wire abraiding them. Check the axles for wear, and lube it well with MacLube or similar when you put it back together.

Having the hi tech line is sure nice on our boat. No more meat-hooks and less weight aloft, as well. Very much a win-win situation.

Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 Far Side

:cheers: