• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Bilge revisited

I know the topic of the E27 deep bilge with the thin fiberglass at the rear has been discussed on here before. I'm considering glassing in a piece of starboard about 18 inches from the top that would essentially create a "false bottom". This would isolate the bottom portion of the bilge from the top of the bilge and thus the cabin. I may even put in an inspection port of some type just to keep an eye on what's below the new bilge floor. Any thoughts on this? Not worth the trouble maybe? Just down get a hole in the boat?

Other ideas floated on the site have been to fill with Epoxy (which is costly) and fill with concrete (not sure the concrete would bond tightly enough with the fiberglass and could still end up leaking in the event of a hole).

sv.Island Girl
1977 E27

pcb don

Member II
My E27 is out of the water and last week I used hydrolic grout ( no not the type for tile )and made a vertical pour about 3" thick at the rear of the bildge and added tie wire for additional strength. I'll let it cure for a few weeks and then fiberglass it in as well as smoothing out the bottom of the bildge. Since I'll be sailing the keys and other reef prone areas it made sense. I'm also considering adding a second bildge pump on a ledge above the bildge pump at ther bottom of the bildge since she's moored not docked.
Don