• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

sail numbers

SFWindChaser

Member I
Hi all,

I plan on racing my E29 in San Fran beercan races, and need sail numbers on my mainsail. There were numbers stitched on it, but the sail is old enough so that they have all come off, leaving a small outline of colored cloth around each number (not enough to see from any distance). Here's my question: Has anyone ever tried coloring dacron with a large marking pen or painting on sail numbers with a flexible paint? I thought maybe I could just fill in the number outlines with color. I don't care that much about the sail, since it's so old. Otherwise, what is the easiest and cheapest way to add sail numbers? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Evan

dwigle

Member III
I don't know what size they are, but Svendsen's used to have adhesive numbers for small boat sails. They're like digital 8's and you just remove the sections needed to make the appropriate number. Failing that, you might make patterns off the old stitching and cut new numbers out of ripstop and use fabric adhesive to glue them in place.

Good luck,
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Evan,
Keep in mind that even in a more casual "beer can" format the RC needs to be able to identify the boats quickly in a crowd. Be sure that the main on your boat (and any overlapping headsail and the chute) have either a valid US Sailing # (even if old and no long dues-paid) or your own Ericson emblem on the main and your correct one design # on all sails.

I have done a bit of RC duty over the years and it's not uncommon to have boats with the same one design # racing, but we could separate them in the results by being able to quickly write down "E-27 #456" or whatever. When there are a bunch of finishers overlapped the RC needs good clear identifying information.

To gain quick insight into how to start and finish races and a gain a veritable wealth of tactical information, you should join the Race Committee for several races. You will be amazed at what you will learn by watching the spectacle of both wisdom and folly of the racers passing in front of you! :rolleyes:

Racing is the fastest way to learn to sail your boat well in a variety of conditions. Go for it!
:cool:

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
sail #

I know a guy with a new 43' beneteau that uses duct ('duck' down here in VA) tape for his numbers...:rolleyes: