• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why so many sizes?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
This may be a dumb question, but over the time I have been frequenting this site I see all the splash screens when I log on and notice what seems to be a huge number of boat sizes: 23, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 38, 39, etc.

The are all within a foot or two of each other. Why would a builder make so many models? Why not a 23, 27, 30, 35, 38, 42 and make the size difference more meaningful? Unless it was a competitive thing; if other builders were making a 23 I guess you would have to make a 23 to compete in that price range...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This may be a dumb question, but over the time I have been frequenting this site I see all the splash screens when I log on and notice what seems to be a huge number of boat sizes: 23, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 38, 39, etc.

The are all within a foot or two of each other. Why would a builder make so many models? Why not a 23, 27, 30, 35, 38, 42 and make the size difference more meaningful? Unless it was a competitive thing; if other builders were making a 23 I guess you would have to make a 23 to compete in that price range...

If you recast the list by "design era" there is a lot more separation in size and intended market. You might want to look at an "early Ericson 60's group", and then a "70's group", and then an "80's design group. Scattered through these clusters will be specialty boats and types like the Cruising 31 and 36. Then you have the two Ron Holland boats, 33 and 36. Just as you think that you have a good grip on the late 80's lineup you find the factory building three Olson models. :cool:
So perhaps it's better to break out your model lineup by era to see some logic in it.
Best,
Loren

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Hadn't thought of it that way, but now it makes sense spread out over the history of the company. They didn't offer all those sizes from the very beginning but added them throughout the years.