• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Main Reefing Setup

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,
I'm eager to enjoy my first full summer of sailing my reconditioned E29-Tall this year, and have a rigging question. I have never reefed a main sail, and while I have looked at numerous sailing and rigging manuals--it appears that every set up is unique with regard to hardware and procedure.

Would someone take a look at my photo below and give me their best idea of how I might use the existing hardware to reef the main? Here are a few details that are probably important:
1) The main has two sets of reefing points
2) The boom has two blocks mounted that seem to correspond to the reefing groumets in the leech of the sail.
3) There are also two cleats that are mounted on the forward part of the boom that also seem to correspond vertically down from a groumet in each of the reefing points. One cleat is down from the upper reefing row of groumets and the second seems to correspond to one of the groumets in the lower row of reefing points.

Another thought is that you might use both blocks for the lower set of reefing points, while only one for the upper set. I have researched the "single line" reefing diagrams--but they dont seem to apply to my set up--even though that would be ideal.

So if someone could point me to a diagram or send me a photo of their set up that might help me understand mine--it would be greatly appreciated.

If someone wants to try to walk me through it with words--please be gentle--I'm a newbie to Ericson rigging.

Thanks in advance--I love this site and the collective comraderie.

Gary

Attachments

• boom reef.jpg
    boom reef.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 153

sleather

Sustaining Member
Hey Gary, That's real similar to my E23 setup. The rear block is for the 1st(lower) reef and the other for the 2nd. Tie a bowline on the "post" at the rear of the block, go under the boom, up to the reef cringle and back down and thru block. The line then goes forward thru those fairleads and ties off at the cleat. If the cleat has an opening in the base all the better, as you can the use a stopper knot to keep it there. When the main is fully hoisted the reefing lines should have a "slight" amount of slack in them and can remain in place.

To determine how much line to buy you can either raise the sail on a calm day and use a tape measure(IF you have a fairly rigid tape measure) or do a dry run w/ some inexpensive string or twine and measure that.

Can you supply a pic of the forward end of the boom at the mast? The boom mounted cleats are for the clew(aft) reef points and on my boat I have a tack hook mounted on the gooseneck(see pic)

Attachments

• BOOM.JPG
    BOOM.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 122

Gmilburn

Member III
Thanks for the reply Steve!

I've attached a few more pics for your perusal and comments.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• boom to mast.jpg
    boom to mast.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Boom mast.jpg
    Boom mast.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 99