• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Long distance shopping for a used 150 genoa

Mike Loft

Member I
I'm looking for a used 150 furling genoa for an E32-200. Reported I and J dimensions for the boat are 42' and 13.8. Dimensions of the used sail I'm interested in (which is a long distance from here) are I 39'6" and J 21'4". What additional information do I need to get to figure out whether this sail would work for this boat, as a 150 genoa should? Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Gmilburn

Member III
Islander 150% Genoa

Hi Mike,
This might not work for you--but thought I would throw it out there. I bought a great sail from an Islander 32 last year thinking I might cut it down for use on my E-29 Tall (perhaps something between 150 and 180%), but have never gotten around to it. Here are a few details:
Foot = 20 ft 11 inches
Luff = 39 ft 8 inches
Leech = 40 ft 11 inches
#6 Tape
Dark Brown Sun Wrap
Sail is in great shape and I would sell it for $395 plus shipping (what I paid for it).

Gary

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sail measurements

Mike,

Just to help you, the I and J measurements are taken from the boat, and define the height and base of your foretriangle.

Sails are designed using these dimensions (and others-like track location, sheer, RF drum hieght above deck, etc.), but sail dimensions are expressed in terms of luff length, foot length, leech length and LP (expressed in feet, but is really a percentage of J). It is the LP which tells you the percentage of the sail. For example, if your J is 10', and you are measuring a sail with an LP of 15', you have a 150% sail for your boat. If the LP is 12', it is 120%. Get it?

Good luck!

Mike Loft

Member I
150 Genoa

Gary: Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to stick with blue if I can. And Seth, thanks for the explanation. I get the math, but I'm not sure I'm going to get the sail shape I'm counting on, looking only at dimensions with no visual inspection.

clayton

Member III
Sail shopping

You'll need to run a tape measure up with the top part of the furling unit to measure your actual luff dimension. I have a Harken unit on my 32-200 and my luff dimension is 40'6". If you find a sail with a shorter luff, you can attach a pendant to make up the difference.
Clayton

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sizes

Right. As was mentioned, you need to be sure you get the luff length right-and this will vary from boat to boat depending on how the furler was installed. You need to know YOUR pin to pin length (top of lower drum to bottom of upper drum), and shoot for this length less 1-2% for stretch. If you find a sail you really want, but it is more than 6-8" shorter (but why would you want this?), then you will want to add a pennant to bring it to the right length-or you may have problems wrapping the halyard around the headstay.
The other critical length is the leech length, as it will impact the height of the clew above deck..You could run a tape attached to the the genny halyard at full hoist, and bring it to a point about 2' above the genoa track at a spot about 12" fwd of the aft end of the track (the tape wil bend around the uppers as you do this). This will simulate leech length for a sail, and give you a target leech dimension. You will have some latitude longer and shorter, but 2' above deck is nice for a fulring genoa-although a bit high for a racing genoa (which should be 6-10" above the track).

As for shape, you can't tell a thing without going sailing. If it is dacron, and/or the leech looks beat up, chances are you won't get a good shape. If the sail is very new, or a composite material with a clean, healthy leech, your chances are better.

Good luck!