• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit drain leak

John Wressell

Member II
We have a E-35, Mark III. Over the winter one or more of the 4 cockpit drain hoses froze and I'm assuming burst. Result was a very wet bilge which we've been pumping out. The hoses and connections are anything but easy to get at. Any suggestions on repairing them?

Many thanks,

John Wressell
Stamford, CT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
John, you are right that they are difficult to get to. One of the problems with the design on some of these is that the hoses have low spots and will always be left with some water in them.

I am 6' tall and I have been able to get myself completely in the stern locker both right side up to work on wiring to the stern light and also upside down to work on a rudder position sensor installed on the underside of the cockpit sole. I had to remove everything from the locker and then remove the plywood seperator.

I will also be replacing my hoses and the way they drain this year. The outers will be plumbed to the T and through-hull under the galley sink. The inners will be crossed and led to the seacocks in the stern locker. This should prevent backflowing when heeled and also keep the hoses from holding water and other debris.

BTW, I have fairly long arms that allow me to barely reach the outer scuppers to attach hoses. Removable propane tank lockers similar to the anchor locker would have been nice.

Last edited:

GMaurer

Member II
My 1988 E28 is the same way.
Isn't this design a little troubling?
First, if you stay in the water during the winter (Northeast) like many do, the line freezes and the cockpit can't drain.
Second, my two drains exit through a common thru-hull that is below the waterline, so this thru-hull must remain in the open position.