• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sponge in fuel tank

John Wressell

Member II
Last Fall I dropped a water absorbing sponge in the fuel tank. Have fished around but I can't find it to get it out. Any ideas if it will contaminate the diesel fuel or clog the fuel intake?

John Wressell

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Without removing the tank, and if the tank does not have an inspection port, I would think it next to impossible to retrieve the sponge. Depending on the material it is made of, the sponge could eventually be broken down by the fuel and leave some kind of goo behind. (I know the leak in my previous fuel tank had almost destroyed the rubber hose that connected the stuffing box to the shaft log.)

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Have you tried pmping all the fuel out? Generally not a bad idea to do periodically anyway. Will allow you to clean the tank. If no inspection port like most you will at least get the bottom dwelling crud out, probably find your sponge too. I remember your original post last year about this. Sorry but it is a little funny...